Is Audirvana ever going to be able to decode WV files

Hi, personally I use basically only .wav files of different sample rates at a maximum of 96 kHz with 24 bits. Even with 44,1 and 16 bit ripped hi-quality recording CD gives for my ears excellent sound qualtity. I can check it also with STAX electrostatic earphones. Purchased dsd256 files from NativeDSD do not really sound better to my perception.
So if you worry about SSD data space why do you use 32 bit for ripping vinyls which are anyway basically not perfect. Vinyl has its inherent limitations which cannot supersede an exellent recorded CD or download file which I prefer when buying further music recordings.

1 Like

This was true in the 2000s, but it’s not really the case anymore.
But as I told you, I check carefully what I buy.

What do you mean? Vinyl bacame better than at 2000 or dsf became better?

I know that Native DSD offers for sale DSD256 and even DSD512 tracks, but I don’t buy them. Most of my DSD tracks are from rips of my SACDs.

When I ripped some of my vinyls to 32 Bit, I was not using SSDs yet. At the present, I rip my new purchased vinyls to DSD 128 and are happy with the result. It doesn’t prevent me to have CDs of albums for which I have vinyls. I started my music collection some 45 years ago, and I have some albums in different supports, formats and editions.

Thank you for the explanation. Now I understand your preference. Me too I have Vinyls from my beginning with stereo from 1970 up. But I changed totally to digital and I am happy with Audirvana 3.5. Perhaps it is the type of music (Blues, Rock, Rockabilly, Jazz) which is probably not so much dependent on the very best qualtity file format or the stereo equipment. And you are true, dsd from NativeDSD are often ripped from a lower format or mag tape.

The music labels often released poor quality editions, first for CDs, and later for SACDs.
People had no other way to buy music, so the labels were selling their products, whatever the quality. This was before the generalization of digital sources for music.
Now, the labels are more careful about quality, because they need to convince the consumer to buy their products.

However, there are still poor editions. I always checked carefully what I was buying, and I still do.

Thats my opinion too. Where I can listen to an album track online I am not sure which audio data quality I get through my firefox browser. So this is not always helpful checking sound quality of what you buy. Only the music itself can be jugded.

It’s true. But if you buy SACDs of classical music from labels such as Deutsche Grammophon, Deutsche Harmonia Mundi, Sony Classical… You’ll never get poor audio productions.
The same is for jazz with labels such as Venus, Verve or MFSL…
For rock, Analogue Productions, Audio Fidelity, MFSL, Universal Japan SHM editions… are most of the time very good, though not always.

I check reviews and feedbacks from people who bought a given album before buying it.

Thanks again for this information since I do not read much audio magazines and reviews. Will look at when seeking new music. Perhaps one qustion if you may allow, what system/software do you use when ripping to DSD128. Should give it a try.

I use the DAC Korg DS-DAC-10R. It comes with a good application that is pleasant to use and that is called AudioGate.

EDIT
People asked me about it and I gave detailed explanations. But I don’t remember in which thread it was.

And Doudou, how do you remove the noise, clicks and pops of the vinyl when recorded in DSD?

I don’t bather doing it for 10-15 years already. I just rip the vinyls when they are brand new.

why not just buy a digital version?

I’m not sure to understand the question.

Well, unless you’re buying brand new old vinyls recovered from a forgotten place, almost all vinyls pressed nowadays are just degraded prints of the “fuller” digital versions (and it’s even true for reedition of legacy contents unfortunately, instead of retaining the original retail mastering from the vinyl era).
But you might just enjoy both vinyl pleasure (format, analogic alteration…) and digital convenience (on the go, easy to manage and sort dynamically) without the need to buy it twice (especially when tags from digital shops are… not really good, to be polite, so it’s not exactly ready to use even when you pay for it).

1 Like

I don’t buy anymore as many vinyls as I did in the past. And for the reasons that you mentioned, when I buy a vinyl it’s from an audiophile edition which was produced with care. The DSD 128 rips that I make from them are really very good.

But there’s a renewal of vinyl for customers of the young generation, though it’s not exactly the music that I listen to. Fewer albums are released on CDs, and there are albums that are released only on vinyl, in addition to their streaming version. And young people buy them.

When I learned of young people buying tablets for writing on, I was somewhat bemused.

Pete Lyman - Infrasonic Sound.

“Most notable among these is “audiophile-quality 180-gram vinyl,” which consumers assume is superior because it is heavier. Lyman, however, says the added weight offers no musical benefit at all.

“It increases shipping costs and sales cost of the record. That’s about it,” he says. “It’s the Super Big Gulp of vinyl, but you’re not getting more [sound quality], really, you’re just getting more vinyl.”

I don’t know who is this guy.
The increase in weight is supposed to assure a better regularity of the rotation on the turntable. And if it’s practiced worldwide, it’s not without a reason. There are also 45 rps vinyls that provide even a better sound. But audiophile edition is not only about the weight of the vinyl or the speed of its rotation. It’s about sound quality production and the remastering, and the transfers are usually made from the original masters.

He’s just another voice in the converstion.
Just another opinion.
I like to throw stones into the pond and watch the ripples form.