Is Audirvana ever going to be able to decode WV files

He’s right in the sense that thicker discs don’t hold more information (when a groove is too dynamic, the head jumps out of the groove anyway, there’s a physical limitation here) and the only way to get higher sound redolution is through faster spinning (such as 12" maxi-single, or "maxi 45-tours in french).
But it’s also easy to witness how corrugated (wavy ?) a vinyl disc can become over time and it doesn’t sound too foolish to expect thicker and heavier discs to not degrade this way.

1 Like

He does say “The added weight offers no musical benefit”
The entire article is very informative and interesting, particularly regarding the preference some people have for the distortion that vinyl introduces, and an interesting fact that the sound degrades more the closer you get to the centre.
"The vinyl disc is a steadily collapsing medium,” says Ludwig, who went on to become a Grammy-winning mastering engineer, with credits on Patti Smith’s Horses, Steely Dan’s Gaucho and White’s Lazaretto, among many others. “The closer it gets to the label, the more the information is getting compromised, the high frequencies getting lost.”

Full article: https://www.laweekly.com/why-cds-may-actually-sound-better-than-vinyl/

There is a theory that there is a sonic benefit with the 180g vinyl. It dampens the resonances, it’s more durable, more resistant to wear and warping.

People of my generation suffered too much from vinyl clicks :roll_eyes: Personally I wouldn’t risk hearing those noises again! If you rip your vinyl in DSD you’ll have to convert to PCM to do any form of editing such as declicking. The process would make you lose the advantage of DSD. Unfortunately this is what most labels do to produce SACDs.

All my old vinyls were ripped long ago.
I rip in DSD 128 only since last year. I rip the new purchased vinyls and as I told you don’t care about clicks.

There are no albums that recorded in DSD. The DSD conversion is done from the DXD masters.

Even if you convert to PCM for some reason, you still get very good results with the solution that I use. Here’s a John Darko’s review about the Korg that I use, and you can read what he says about it.

Most (all?) analog/digital converters integrate chips whose digitization process starts with a Delta-Sigma Modulator to get the DSD signal followed by a Decimation Filter to compute the PCM signal. This is also the case of the KORG DS-DAC-10R which uses a PCM4202 chip. I don’t doubt that the DS-DAC-10R is a great device but there are many others if you just want to have a PCM output. On the other hand it’s true that to have a DSD output there are not many solutions at a fair price and the KORG is an exception.

My whole library of vinyls was converted to PCM. And it was done little by little over the years.
This Korg offers much better results than what I got the past, at an affordable price. And it is quite popular among people who rip vinyls.

This topic was automatically closed 375 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.