Issues with A+ UPnP functionality

Good day. I use a headless Mac Mini, late 2012 with MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2, together with a PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge 2, running the latest Bridge firmware (3.4.5) and latest DAC software (Red Cloud). I typically run Audirvana+ 3.2.3 (3134) via the Mac Mini’s USB 2.0 port into the DirectStream. A Naim Uniti2 serves as the control amp, while the music library is stored on a 4 TB Synology NAS. Network connection is via Ethernet throughout - not wireless.

I only recently realised that Audirvana now offers streaming via UPnP. I typically run Roon via Bridge 2 but today decided to try Audirvana via UPnP - both using the DirectStream’s Bridge 2, as well as the Uniti2’s UPnP interface. Both show up as available audio devices under Audirvana’s Audio Setup menu.

But here’s where it gets interesting. Audirvana runs seamlessly via USB 2.0 and initially equally seamlessly via UPnP. However, as soon as you use any of the transport controls (stop, track forward, track reverse) etc. several issues arise. Among the most common, the time progress bar at the top of the Audirvana window remains at zero, even though the song plays. Also, Audirvana will only play one song in the music queue at a time, and no longer progresses to the next song in the queue.

A less frequent problem is the programme skipping two or three tracks at a time when the track forward button is selected. In extreme cases, the transport buttons stop responding completely.

One way to address the problem, albeit temporarily, is to revert to USB playback, and then back to UPnP. This seems to reset Audirvana, and everything operates normally, as long as you don’t want to stop, or skip tracks. By the way, the symptoms are the same for the albums in my own music library, and albums sourced via Tidal.

I tried to use the Naim Uniti2 for UPnP playback, but while it also works initially, skipping tracks causes even more serious problems: playback freezes completely, while the status bar on the top of the Audirvana window blanks out - with no album/track/time info, and no album artwork.

I’ve been able to replicate the problem with my 13-inch MacBook Pro, also running MacOS High Sierra and the same version and build of Audirvana. I don’t usually use the MacBook for this purpose, but wanted to check whether the issue was perhaps related to the Mac Mini, which appears not to be the case. Given that both the PS Audio Direct Stream and the Naim Uniti2 appear to suffer similar problems, is this a case of incompatibility with UPnP protocol, or a bug in this version of Audirvana?

For now, I’m going back to USB playback, which is rock solid, but the indications are that the SQ using the UPnP interface is better … I’d appreciate any feedback and suggestions!

1 Like

Interesting - so, to you, in your system, Roon as renderer sounds better than A+ as renderer (In its mode as UPnP server Audirvana’s renderering function is not in use). What machine is Roon running on?

This is the first time I have heard that said -majority opinion of those I’ve read who have compared directly always thought A+ sounded better than Roon, however Roon was said to be catching up, so perhaps it What machine is Roon running it is there now. Maybe I need to compare the disadvantages of Roon with the limitations of A+, and assess which is the least worst (Audirvana still hasn’t enabled searching and browsing by file structure to overcome up its limited functionality with some tagging issues, while Roon is too tied to Tidal with an interface too reminiscent of social media.)

Hi - Roon Core runs on the Mac Mini, controlled via Roon Remote on an a 13-inch MacBook Pro. I’ve been using Audirvana since it first appeared, and it remains a top choice for digital file playback, especially in the Mac environment. Roon’s integration of my NAS-based library with my Tidal favourites is a big pluspoint, as is the metadata presentation.

The PS Audio Directstream’s role here shouldn’t be underestimated - it has a real ability to make the most of incoming digital data, regardless of USB, SPDIF or UPnP (i.e. Bridge II) interfaces.

Thus, my preference for Roon is more about the interface and ease of use than a final verdict on SQ: in my opinion, both A+ and Roon have their (considerable) merits, and actual preference becomes a matter of taste. I’m also not totally committed to one renderer, and I don’t use any DSP effects or filters in either program.

Finally the DirectStream DAC running the latest Red Cloud firmware, is a musically sympathetic partner in both instances. Of course, for some, the A+ implementation of MQA will be a significant pluspoint, compared to Roon’s state of flux in that regard (although MQA’s statement at the CES seems to suggest that a first unfold in Roon is imminent).

All of this doesn’t help my query with regards to A+ and the UPnP problems I’m experiencing, though - perhaps Damien can come up with a reply? :slight_smile:

Hi,
I have the same issue as dscoem pointed out. When I use Audirvana with my USB DAC (NAIM DAC V-1), all works perfectly, but when i tested Audirvana with my new UPnP renderer (Goldnote IS-1000 integrated amplifier) I encoutered all the same problem of dscoem:

transport controls PAUSE/PLAY don’t work
TRACK FORWARD works, but required 5-6 seconds to have effect
STOP works, but all information on the track (on the top of the window) disappear

time progress bar at the top of the Audirvana window remains at zero, even though the song plays.

only playing one song at a time in the music queue and no longer progresses to the next song in the queue.

I also noticed that when I use Audirvana in iTunes integrated mode with transport controls active in iTunes the music queue works but every track is cut for 8-10 seconds at the beginning and at the end.
The time progress bar works in iTunes but in Audirvana works only for the first 8-10 seconds, then it stops (I think this time is the same that is missed at the beginning of every track).

I hope one of the next Audirvana updates fixes these problems.

Best regards.

Stefano

1 Like

I have finally resolved the issue with MPD/DLNA playback via SOtM sMS-200. It turned out to be a network issue. I simply configured the sMS-200 to manual IP address and subnet mask and my server accordingly and everything is fine.

Hi,
I have the same issues as explained by dschoem when connected in UPnP to my network streamer (Cambridge Audio CXNv2).
In a music queue or an album, first song plays, then the top of the A+ window freezes a few seconds before end of the track. Then second track plays (its info are correctly displayed on the CXNv2 but not in A+ window). Then A+ stops playing the queue at the end of the 2nd track.
Same issue when my CXNv2 is connected with Airplay.

No issue when using the built-in speakers of my MacBook Pro with HighSierra and A+ 3.2.6. No issue when connecting to CXNv2 in USB (but not convenient at all).

Correction in future version of A+ would be most welcome, or a turnaround solution. Thanks Damien.

1 Like

However, as soon as you use any of the transport controls (stop, track forward, track reverse) etc. several issues arise. Among the most common, the time progress bar at the top of the Audirvana window remains at zero, even though the song plays. Also, Audirvana will only play one song in the music queue at a time, and no longer progresses to the next song in the queue.
A less frequent problem is the programme skipping two or three tracks at a time when the track forward button is selected. In extreme cases, the transport buttons stop responding completely.

I have exactly the same two problems with 3.2.7, using PS Audio DS DAC via UPNP. Very annoying, and it often requires shutting down and restarting A+ repeatedly before the issues go away.

I also see it skip forward two tracks when I use Cmd+RtArrow, hoping to skip forward one track.

The 3.2.7 UI has several obvious bugs.

OK - that’s it for me. I quit.

I find that Audirvana 3.2.7 is unusable with my PS Audio Directstream over DLNA. It has the two issues that have been pointed out here, and there is no way to get the darn thing to play the playlist, once it stalls. Repeated Quit and restart does nothing, even with a Force Quit - it just keeps playing one song, and not advancing to the next track.

I certainly won’t be recommending it to anyone else, is until this obvious bug gets resolved Audirvana is useless, and I’m annoyed that I paid money for it. Back to BubbleUPNP.

Good Bye

Most unstable, buggy, music program I’ve ever tried.

My first post :wink:

+1 @OP

I use Yamaha A3060 as my DLNA renderer and I’ve had similar issues as OP. A+ plays one track and stops at the end (doesn’t move to the next track), skips two tracks instead of one, sometimes when I press play it refuses to play. It’s got its own mind, feels pretty random. There is no pattern to it.

It’s a pity as the audio quality is top notch. I hope A+ will iron out the issues with the next major release as streaming audio is becoming the main mode of transporting audio to the players/DACs.

It’s not fixed in 3.2.8

After letting it sit neglected for a year, was freshly inspired to get Audivarna to work with a wireless DAC (azur 851n). Even put airfoil into the mix for the first time. Same issues as the other: one track plays, then stops. The end. Really good for that one track though! Guess I’ll shelve this software for another year.

On the shelf is where it belongs, as it won’t reliably play music.

Why aren’t there any answers on the problem. I LOVE Audirvana. But I’m also contemplating replacing my Bryston BDA-1 DAC which is long in the tooth now with a Directstream. So I take that Audirvana won’t work with Directstream? Has anyone gotten it to work? Damien?

Unfortunately the answer can come only from the network player manufacturers, with a firmware update fixing their bugs/compatibility issues in their implementation of UPnP in “Media Renderer” mode.
Some have just not tested thoroughly the “Media Renderer” mode, just being happy when it works with their own proprietary app.

First you can check if there is not already a firmware update available for your network player.

If this does not fix this, you can then contact the manufacturer of the network player. Having numerous users requesting them to fix their bugs will help them get the right priorities…

FYI, I’ve already helped manufacturers to fix their bugs by pointing them the place in their firmware they need to fix.
I’ve even worked with the supplier of the UPnP network electronic board for high-end to ultra high-end audio manufacturers.

Damien

2 Likes

Funny thing- several other software vendors have the PS Audio DACs and DLNA working just fine.

“Some have just not tested thoroughly the “Media Renderer” mode, just being happy when it works with their own proprietary app.”

I just checked the “Media Renderer” mode in Preferences. Set it to “Not MQA device” for my PS Audio Directstream. Same result - plays one track from a playlist without showing progress on the progress bar and quits after playing one track.

Meanwhile, BubbleUPnP and other software works fine with DLNA.

I have three UPnP renderers in my system and A+ v3.2.8 works properly with only one of them:

PS Audio Bridge II: NG

Melco N1ZH60 Mk. I: NG

OPPO UDP-205: Works

The Bridge II and Melco renderers are pretty much rock solid with other apps and programs. I wish A+ worked with them.

I only have a PS Audio Directstream DAC with ethernet bridge, but I have four other software packages that work perfectly with it.

I’m mystified why Audirvana won’t figure this out and make their software work for their paying customers.