Media Key support - macOS?

:man_shrugging: I have no suggestions. As you can see it is happening here, but why is a mystery to me. As per the start of this now very mature thread, the media keys for advance / back have not been working for a long time, the only change now is that play / pause is also not working.
I hope you can use this information to guide your development such that the problem is fixed - I am used to using the media keys to pause / restart the player while working in other apps - having to seek out the app and control playback from there is not the end of world, but unnecessary and a bit irritating.

Hello @glawrie,

Can you go in System Preferences in Security&Privacy and in the Privacy check the Accessibility section. Does Audirvana is enabled?

Yes it is.

If you disable it and reopen Audirvana, do you have the window that ask you to enable Audirvana in media keys?

Yes
Screenshot 2021-03-24 at 09.53.33
I disabled and the option, closed Audirvana, and then re-enabled the option.
After this the play / pause mediakey now works!
In these diminshed times, simply getting this to work again is a big step forward.
The ‘forward / back’ media keys on keyboard still do not work, but for the first time they are now working OK via the keyboard simulator.
To check the keyboard issue, I restarted my computer, but the outcome was not changed.
I will do some investigation with Logitech on whether there is something weird happening with how it sends the forward / back keystrokes to apps - they work with other apps, so I’m guessing not, but maybe they have some ideas.

After some testing I got it working.
It’s a bit clumsy so a fix is ​​appreciated.

I downloaded “BetterTouchTool”. Here I could “record” the actions of the Hegel remote.

Next
Previous

And make triggers that start een automator

Then created an Automator. This tells Audirvana
‘next track’
Etcetera

Works perfect.

What I see with the Hegel remote is that it sends a different command than what Audirvana responds to.

The Hegel sends “next” or “previous”. Audirvana responds to “next track” or “previous track”. Perhaps this is the same for media keys on a keyboard.

It is not entirely clear to me why it works. What I have found so far is the standard on almost every keyboard.

e0 10 (Prev Track),
e0 19 (Next Track)

https://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes-6.html

Any news on the subject? I’m really waiting for the moment when the back and forth buttons will work.

@Antoine is there anything you can do with the fact that after redirecting the next/previous buttons it does work?

1 Like

The only difference I can think of is that the software (audirvana) can interface with apple music. I guess you can solve the media key problem if you completely disconnect from apple music. No other software has the problem with the media keys and no other software has an interface with apple music

I still need the BetterTouchTool workaround with AS to make the previous and next buttons work. No improvement in AS yet.

Hello @Jacob, does BetterTouchTool give you more information about how next and previous are announced by your Hegel?

1 Like

apple music, spotify, tidal, deezer, vox, vlc
All of these programs work great with the media buttons.
Only audirvana can not use the most basic buttons for music software.
The problem lasts for years and there is no solution!

2 Likes

I also have a Hegel amplifier. There is no connection between the amplifier / remote and the software. Even when I disconnect the amplifier and try to hear through the computer speakers the same phenomenon happens. The (next / previous) buttons just don’t work.

Play/Pause works fine from the Hegel remote to Audirvana.
Audirvana without BetterTouchTool still no response to previous and next.

When I connect the Hegel to a laptop with the Qobuz application, the Play/pause, previous and next work immediately.

1 Like

There is a very old thread that talks about problems with media buttons. I can not understand how software that deals with media fails to solve media button problems

Just did another test with a universal keyboard. And it sends the same as the Hegel amplifier does.

Meanwhile play/pause and volume up/down do work.

1 Like

Thank you. You can please post a link to this software