Media Key support - macOS?

Play / pause is working but next track / previous track are not.

They used to work, but stopped recently - I am supposing this is either OS version related or Audirvana version related, (or maybe linked to iTunes changes - but if that was so perhaps it is odd that play/pause continues to work). It would be good if the functionality could be restored somehow: if anyone has any ideas?

I’ve tried reinstalling Audirvana and restarting the computer etc.

I am using Audirvana 3.5.20 and macOS 10.14.6

1 Like

Glawrie, I have this same problem. I’m not sure why no one has responded to your comment because I need help too and apparently there’s no person to contact at Audirvana for help. Just like Plex. I can play an album, press, “Next,” and it might work one or two times, then playback will stop all together and I have to restart the playback. It doesn’t matter if I’m controlling playback from my Mac or their Remote app on iOS.

Again, any help with this would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Hello @Bymatty, Which version of Audirvana are you currently using? How are you connected to your DAC? Wireless or USB?

Morning @Antoine! You just made my day. Thank you!

I just double checked and I’m running version 3.5.29. Audirvana is on my 21.5," late 2013 iMac w/ 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel i5 and 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 of memory. It’s connected via Ethernet cable to my router. My DAC is my Oppo UDP-205, which is connected to the same router, also by Ethernet cable.

The other thing it’s doing sometimes is skipping tracks when I press play next. I.E. I’ll be playing track one of an album, select, “Play next,” and it’ll go to track two. Then, I’ll select, “Play next,” again and it’ll skip track 3 and go to track 4, or go to track 4 and stop playback. It’ll also skip tracks if I let it play on its own sometimes and there’s always a gap between the tracks despite setting my Oppo to play without them.

I went to settings last night on the Audirvana Remote app and noticed three options under, “Default track tap action,” and thought that might have something to do with this, but trying the different options didn’t “fix” the issue.

I was able to narrow the issue though. With my system off (Oppo and Home Theater), playing music on my computer speakers, there is no issue. It even plays the tracks w/o gaps!

Hopefully this helps narrow down the playing field. Thank you again for your help! Such a relief.

Matt

Hello @Bymatty, thank you for this precise response. Have you changed any settings of Audirvana like enabling upsampling?

Hi @Antoine. I believe the simple answer to your question about changes made to the settings is no. I’ve included what I feel might be the pertinent settings I have below only for the sake of clarity.

For the Sysoptimizer, I have all the items (Optimize for playback and disabling Spotlight, Time Machine, and detection of iDevices on USB) on and set Audirvana priority to “very high.”

The Max PCM rate, PCM bitdepth and DSD rate are 192 kHz, 24 bit, and DSD256 respectively. Auto-detect MQA devices is activated and the, “DAC not detected as MQA, use as,” is set to, “Not MQA.” Though I don’t know what that means.

For the Max memory allocated for tracks pre-load, I have it set at 2750 MB. For bridge devices connected to a DAC, I have max sample rate set to no limit and the additional latency when changing spl rate set to none.

Upsampling has been deactivated.

I don’t know if it’s relevant, but I was double checking my wiring and I neglected to mention the ethernet cables from my computer and my Oppo are actually connected to a 5-port D-Link switch which is connected to my router. I initially bought it because I ran out of ports on my router. Then I read connecting things as I have now might be a solution to my current issue, but unfortunately it wasn’t.

Thank you for helping me with this!

You made the right decision to wire connect your DAC, have you checked if you have a firmware update of your Oppo?

Yes, I last checked 2 nights ago. Do you think it could be something with that? I purchased the extra warranty when I bought the Oppo because they were going out of business, but I’m not sure if they’d be able to help with firmware.

Hey there, Bymatty. New to Audirvana with 30:day trial and saw your post on Oppo 205. Did you ever get things to operate correctly? I have a Oppo 105D and having issues with tracks being skipped over. Any insight appreciated. Doubtful there are any Oppo firmware upgrades available for us. Love the sound hate to abandon. Thanks in advance

Just a nudge on this - now six months since I posted the original message and even after the latest update to Audirvana the media play controls still refuse to work when using the app, but work just fine with other audio apps.

Same issue here, keyboard commands for skip forward or skip back don’t work Audirvana, but work for Tidal app, iTunes etc. This is a real pain Because you need computer or ipad to skip tracks. Please fix this.

Same issue here. Play/Pause works using the keyboard button; skip backwards or forwards does not.

Mac OS 10.15.5; Logitech MX keys; Audirvana 3.5.37

1 Like

same problem
I just switched to Mac after years with windows.
right now I’m using trial version but it If I cant control next/previous track its a deal breaker for me.

Hello @nir,

Do you have the setting “Use Keyboard media keys” enabled in Audirvana settings> Miscellaneous

yes
only play/pause button is working
next/forward not responding at all

Hi Damien3
This feature hasn’t worked in a very long time. See my posting above reminding that nothing had happened at that point in over six months on this issue - and that was posted six months ago in April this year - so it has been an issue for at least a year. And nothing has changed since.
It doesn’t matter what build, what version of macOS or whether the ‘use keyboard media keys’ is selected or not.
It is a surprising oversight - for an app dedicated to working with media, for the media keys (except play/pause) to not work with it is a big miss.
Fingers crossed it will get some love soon.

1 Like

@glawrie and @nir Do you have a macbook with touch bar or you have a magic keyboard?

Mac mini with Logitech keyboard
next/previous track works fine with other apps like Apple Music/spotify and tidal official app.

2010 Mac Pro (5,1) running macOS 10.14.6. Tried with wired keyboard (A1243), Logitech Craft (via Bluetooth and wireless connections), Satechi bluetooth wireless keyboard. All show same issues.
HTH