Pops and crackles when playing strong bass tracks

Guys, I feel like we’ll have a lot more fun if I keep replying to you. But this channel will not be a suitable place for this, and other users will be unnecessarily stressed.

1 Like

No reason not to have fun………bring some :+1:t2:

1 Like

I appreciate offers to help. I am still trying to determine the cause.
I have used different audio cables and different usb ports. I have selected no upsampling in Settings, and I don’t believe I’ve exceeded 0 db, but I’m not sure about that. What is wierd is that after the crackling starts, it continues with the tracks that follow even when the volume is turned down to a minimum. When I reboot my laptop and resume with AS everything is fine until I try to play another track with very low punchy bass frequencies. “Keep the Wolves Away” is an example of a track that causes it.

I think it may be premature to say AS is the cause. It may be my computer sound card or a usb driver.

Maybe a bit radical… but do you have another Windows computer you can try Audirvana on?

1 Like

That’s exactly what what I am in the process of doing. I have an old Win 8.1 laptop that I am updating to Win 10. I will report back when I can test with it.

I accidentally stumbled into this observation made by Doudou back in May of '21. He references Bit Perfect and r8brain. Does this only apply to upsampling? Is AS in bit perfect mode if Upsampling is de-activated? And could upsampling be related to crackling even though I have upsampling turned off?

Always up for a laugh on here…

1 Like

I don’t get your reply. What’s so funny?

Also, I run Origin… however I just listened to Emergency Basslines by Dr Das, at full volume with r8Brain device max frequency, and aside from the pounding my head took… it sounded superb, no clickin or poppin here - the bass is safe|!

He’s commenting on me commenting on @mistral comments…….confused yet?
Yep me too :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Usually this problem is related to the operating system, much more often Windows.
For audio I left an exclusive computer with MacOS.
The tip would be to test with another computer, with a previous version of Windows.

I was able to upgrade an old laptop from Win 7 to Win 10, using the same AS settings, and all problems disappeared.

Conclusion, Audirvana is not the problem. It could be the usb drivers in my Win 11 laptop or my Aspire 5 laptop.

1 Like

This.

1 Like

Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than ………….

Odd deal for sure, glad he’s got it sorted out

Waiting for @mistral to check in, I think you scared him off :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Me? You started the ‘bring the fun’ thing…:sunglasses:

1 Like

Why did nobody here ask the OP what file type and sample-rate they are playing and if the files were SACD .iso rips, etc, etc and if up-sampllng, etc…?
:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:

I thought that was your department, we didn’t want to make you redundant. You still can ask @audiojerry he’s a friendly enough bloke. Don’t forget about the cables and stuff too, I neglected to ask him about that aspect also.:wink:

1 Like

ok guys, have fun without me. I’m outta here - might visit some wankers down under

@AndyLubke @OffRode … It was never going to be a digital cable (USB or S/PDIF coax) as these only carry the digital-audio signals (bits and words)…If it were any analog connection it would be the DAC → Amplifier interface where the DAC output could be clipping the amplifier inputs if the gain is set to high… The DAC is going to be the culprit for any perceived ‘distortion’ of the digital signal or at the D/A conversion… Digital “Hash” is a product of lost clock-synchronization, either with the digital-handshake between the computer and the DAC or somewhere in the transmission of the digital-audio data signal… The spurious nature of the distortion is the key…

The spurious distortion that was presented could have been DAC overload where the gain was not set properly, which makes the most sense, and this is the sound of ‘hard-clipping’ and can sound like “crackling”… I can’t see how the Windows drivers would produce dynamic distortion as described… it is either going to work or not…
:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:

1 Like

@Agoldnear I was talking about basic troubleshooting with analog interconnects. By the way aren’t you a bit late to the party? It is already established where the problem is. Case closed. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like