Preference Pane: Where in Windows 10 Pro

My Macbook Pro just died on me, and its beyond repair. I’m moving to a PC with Window 10 Pro and run AS on it. I’ve installed AS successfully. However, can’t find Setting (Preference) even if click the AS logo on the left top corner of the AS window, hence could not set up the drive path for my AS library. Can someone help me out and let me know how to set up the link to my music library? Thanks

You have access to all of the settings of Audirvāna Studio at the top right of Audirvāna Studio, either with the MacOS or Windows version.

Thanks, @Antoine, that was quick. I can see it now. Thanks.

@Antoine
I’m having a go at AS and Remote on Windows 10 Pro for the past 3 days. I find both to be bit quirky and has problems I have difficulty explaining or fixing. Here it is:
Scenario:
Just moved from Macbook Pro to HP Laptop with WIndows 10 Pro
HP laptop has Core i5 with 6GB memory
Audirvana Studio 1.10.2; Remote(s) for iPad and Android both latest download versions
AS & Remotes(s) running on same network; same used when in Macbook

Issues:

• Android Remote can’t find AS, can’t connect
  • iPad Remote can commect to AS, but volume control slider does not work; stucked at lowest level setting even though AS slider is at maximum
  • AS intermittently stops playing at middle of a track, then hangs up and wont respond
  • Sometime AS hangs up even while not play track, i.e. hangs up
  • At times when it hangs up, I can not close the application; I have to resort ot Task Manager to abort
  • in above instances, AS is the only application running on the laptop
  • When AS hangs up, I can still open and close other apps but not AS

Not being able to use the Remote the way it’s designed and the intermittent stop of playback/hangs reduce the pleasure of listening with AS. I’m not sure if these are common issues to AS/Windows users. Unfortunately, I have no other equipment I can use to replace the Macbook Pro that I used to have.

Any thoughts on this? Thank you.

Please send a copy of your
“Debug Info” while you have selected your driver? You can get it in Audirvana Settings>General>Debug Info

Note: By clicking on the Debug Info button, Audirvana automatically copies all its content, all you have to do is paste it in response to this message

This info will probably show what problems are there.

For instance, the amount of memory used for Windows is to small and for Audirvana to high.
Windows needs more memory than Audirvana.
Probably 1024MbB of memory is enough for Audirvana in your case, so try that.

This has nothing to do with the problems around “remotes” but with the playing music problems.

Audirvana People have to look info the remove problem on monday. Meanwhile you probably can play some music without problems during this weekend.
Success

There are ways to optimize Windows and AS. If you want to go deeper and learn something new…

1. Try ASIO with large buffer and DoP
  2. Set custom pagefile fot Windows, in your case I think 8000-12000 it’s ok.
  3. Use Winaero Tweaker - it’s a great app for optimizing / tweaking / customizing.

There are others too, but these are “safe” for casual user imo.

See below the Debug info.
I’m not Windows savvy being Mac user so bear with me with this question. Is the 1024MB memory recommended same as the audio buffer set which in this case 1952MB, or it has to be set up in Windows for for the application space? Thanks

Audirvana Studio 1.10.2 (11002)

Windows 10 (19044) with 6GB physical RAM

Connected account of : DANILO VILLANUEVA

SIGNAL PROCESSING:

Polarity Inversion:
	Globally: OFF
	Per track: ON
Effects plugins NOT ACTIVE

UPSAMPLING:
r8brain not in use
r8brain filter parameters
Bandwidth = 99.5%
Stop band attenuation 218dB
Phase linear

AUDIO VOLUME:
Max allowed volume: 100
Replay Gain: None
SW volume control: OFF

LIBRARY SETTINGS:
Sync list: 1 folders
AUTO: \192.168.1.40\Music\iTunes 1\iTunes Media\Music
Library database path: C:\Users\Student1\AppData\Local\Audirvana\Audirvana\AudirvanaDatabase.sqlite

Remote Control server:
Listening on 2001:4451:4379:5000:a4f8:e0bd:aacf:3af6 on port 63008

ACTIVE STREAMING SERVICES

=================== AUDIO DEVICE ========================

Max. memory for audio buffers: 1952MB

Local Audio Engine: WASAPI

Preferred device:
Speakers (SPDIF Bridge)
Model UID:MMDEVAPI\AudioEndpoints
UID:\?\SWD#MMDEVAPI#{0.0.0.00000000}.{782372b6-84be-435f-bf13-ddf2ce7995ef}#{e6327cad-dcec-4949-ae8a-991e976a79d2}

Active Sample Rate: 48kHz

Bridge settings:
Sample rate limitation: none
Sample rate switching latency: none
Limit bitdepth to 24bit: OFF
Mute during sample rate change: OFF

Selected device:
Local audio device
Speakers (2- High Definition Audio Device)
Manufacturer: Microsoft
Model Name: Speakers (2- High Definition Audio Device)
Model UID: MMDEVAPI\AudioEndpoints
UID: \?\SWD#MMDEVAPI#{0.0.0.00000000}.{616feba1-f810-4bc1-a794-23bb73dd6afb}#{e6327cad-dcec-4949-ae8a-991e976a79d2}

5 available sample rates up to 192000Hz
Volume Control
Physical: Yes
Virtual: No
MQA capability
Auto-detect MQA devices: Yes
Not a MQA device, user set to not MQA
DSD capability: Unhandled
Device audio channels
Preferred stereo channels L:0 R:1
Channel bitmap: Ox3, layout:
Channel 0 mapped to 0
Channel 1 mapped to 1

Audio channels in use
Number of channels: 2
Use as stereo device only: No
Simple stereo device: No

1 output streams:
Number of active channels: 2, in 1 stream(s)
Channel #0 :Stream 0 channel 0
Channel #1 :Stream 0 channel 1
2 ch Integer PCM 16bit little endian 44.1kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 20bit little endian aligned high in 32bit chunk 44.1kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 24bit little endian aligned high in 32bit chunk 44.1kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 16bit little endian 48kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 20bit little endian aligned high in 32bit chunk 48kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 24bit little endian aligned high in 32bit chunk 48kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 16bit little endian 88.2kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 20bit little endian aligned high in 32bit chunk 88.2kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 24bit little endian aligned high in 32bit chunk 88.2kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 16bit little endian 96kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 20bit little endian aligned high in 32bit chunk 96kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 24bit little endian aligned high in 32bit chunk 96kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 16bit little endian 192kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 20bit little endian aligned high in 32bit chunk 192kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 24bit little endian aligned high in 32bit chunk 192kHz

Local devices found : 1
Device #0: Speakers (2- High Definition Audio Device) Manufacturer: Microsoft Model UID: MMDEVAPI\AudioEndpoints UID: \?\SWD#MMDEVAPI#{0.0.0.00000000}.{616feba1-f810-4bc1-a794-23bb73dd6afb}#{e6327cad-dcec-4949-ae8a-991e976a79d2} Model Name: Speakers (2- High Definition Audio Device)

UPnP devices found : 1
Device #0[TV]Samsung LED58 UID: uuid:0b532b80-00be-1000-ac78-90f1aa6fa927 Location: http://192.168.1.28:7676/smp_11_

Thank you for your suggestions.

The current page file size is 960MB, so you reckon changing to 8000 (more than my 6GB memory) should be okay?

I will try the ASIO setting in AS.

Need to learn more about Winaero Tweaker, and see if I should use this instead of going through the Windows process.

Again, thanks.

1 Like

You have on principle enough (8192MB) memory available, which should do … more is always better but realiseren needed ar the moment. Best set memory sizes in logical block amounts, like 256-512-1024-2048-4096-8192MB.
Windows needs most of it to functioning properly under all conditions. Audirvana needs less so set your Audirvana amount to 1024MB for now.
Your total memory is at the moment 6144.
Windows memory is in this cae 6144-1024=5020MB

You are using wasapi. ASIO could do perhaps better, so try that as well.
If you don’t need MQA …switch it off as well.

Succes again
Mollie

2 Likes

You have little RAM. Maybe just for Audirvana should be ok but sometimes things are not like in theory. You can check task manager to check memory usage and you will be surprised - with nothing opened W10PRO eat some resources. And if you use the computer not only for music pagefile is more important. Also if you don’t want to restart daily. For more than 16 GB RAM I think you can leave pagefile at 1 GB or something especially if you don’t have ssd.

Hello @dv187736,

Are you able to reproduce the issues you have in the Remote in Audirvāna Studio?

Hi @Antoine,
The issues with Remote on both iPad and Android has been resolved by restarting the router and extenders. They can recognize and connect to AS now.

Re AS hanging up during playback and use of Task Manager to stop AS, I followed some recommended actions to optimize Win10, to include removing start up programs, disabling programs running in the background, defragmenting HDD, removing 3rd party antivirus, and turning off 3D visual effect - all to free up resources. I stopped going further to implement suggested tweaks in this thread, and see first if these sets of actions have any effect. I also reinstalled AS deleting the .sqlite file in the process. So far, AS seems to be behaving properly and did not hang up for 2 continuous hrs its been playing. I need to repeat the tests again in the audio room. Hopefully, it’s OK.

If AS hangs up again during playback, I will then apply the memory allocation and page file tweaks and take it from there.

By the way, I tried changing from WASAPI to ASIO. At first, error occurs in the output device selection, wont select the internal speakers (testing purpose), and then hang up, even though internal speaker was selected in Windows. Reinstalling AS fixed the error message and hang up but selecting ASIO had no effect at all, i.e. not highlighted each time you select. Anyway, not important for me right now as long as WASAPI works, and AS plays music without problem.

Thanks

@Antoine
I spoke too soon when I said that merely restarting my router and wifi extender fixed the Remote (for both iPad, Android) issue of not recognizing AS, not connecting to AS. It happened again and this time I was unable to make it work. I searched the community and realized this problem has been there all along since the start of AS/Remote - an issue bugging many Windows 10 users. It now appears whatever I do, they must have been tried before.

Next is my experience with AS on Win10. So far I’ve experienced stopping in the middle only once, AS hanged and can only be stopped through the Task Manager. Don’t know why its behaving this way. I thought I should give it more time and see whether it will be a showstopper for AS.

Then I decided to experiment with ASIO. WASAPI is okay(only). I thought there is more to AS than what I was hearing with WASAPI. As mentioned in previous post, when I try to activate ASIO nothing happens. AS stays in WASAPI. Same if true for Kernel streaming. I thought it could be driver issue so I installed ASIO4ALL. With this ASIO in AS can now be activated but the Output device that appears ia ASIO4ALL and the sound comes out of the PC internal speaker. There is no SPDIF in the output selection, hence no sound from my audio system. Kernel streaming can be activate too, but this time NO sound comes out at all even though internal speaker was the default. Again, no SPDIF in the output device selection. Is there something I am missing here?

BTW, this may be stupid to ask but may I know where is the STOP-play button? Sorry for my ignorance, it’s just that I had to stop and restart AS before I could do these switch overs between output devices and drivers. Thanks.

@mollie @DGrigorescu

If your device do not have a ASIO driver for SPDIF, you will need to stick to WASAPI or Kernel Streaming.

You can see it in purple when you can stop.

Screenshot 2022-01-26 at 10.35.25

Thanks, @Antoine.
Re Stop-play button, perhaps its best to use the traditional square button and placed somewhere near the playback controls. Besides, when I hover my cursor on the button it says
“Exclusive audio mode activated”. No wonder I couldn’t find it.

Re ASIO, I gather what you meant is for me to install another ASIO driver with SPDIF, and uninstall Asio4all(?)

What is the name of the device you are using? Does it has a ASIO driver on the manufacturer download page?

If you don’t have an ASIO driver no problem. I said “ASIO” because I have one. Sorry if complicated things. WASAPI & Kernel are also good. There are other ASIO drivers like ASIO4ALL but you may have other headaches with them. Good luck! And don’t stress too much - set Kernel and listen to a good recording like “Jazz At The Pawnshop”. You will see everything in bright colors.

I am using a Halide Bridge USB to S/PDIF, to a DIY DAC

Thanks for the advice. No, I’m not stressed but just curious.

As FG said: ”Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.”

There are always choices.

1 Like

Your device specifically require WASAPI, this means it will not work with Kernel Streaming and ASIO at all.