Qobuz crashing Studio?

In France too, the boss has the right to work night and day, if he wants, and if his lady allows him. But his hands are tied when it comes to his employees.

1 Like

It’s very difficult to run a business in France.
This maybe the reason why France does so well with luxury products. The customers are happy to pay for them, whatever the price.
The production of many of our other products, like the production of French cars, was displaced to foreign countries.

Well, curiously, my “Japanese” car is made in the north of France, and it rates very highly in terms of reliability.
This seems to suggest that some are not as fatalist and raise to their challenge.
It is only the culture of excuses that is a problem.

1 Like

Audirvāna is a luxury product, nobody needs it per se. @DGrigorescu perhaps has put proper context on this better than most. I find that these “brands” cost to value ratio varies wildly. I had the bad idea to have a mate’s girlfriend check the tag inside her 500usd Coach purse “Made in China” oops :grimacing: should have left it alone in retrospect.

There are still some 1 million cars that are produced in France each year. It’s only a third of the 3 millions cars that were produced in France in 2000.

You are spot on as usual sir……….Gallic Shrug……still laughing about that one🤣

I’ve got a Japanese car that was made in Japan, she just turned 20 years old. Nissan/Infiniti Skyline/G35 love that auto.

The Renault model 8 I had for a bit in the 70s sometimes ran for 20 days straight!

This is the point. Some luxury products offer a reasonable value for their price, and others do not.

1 Like

Totally understand your frustrations and feel for people who have problems with AS. I also initially had UPnP problems wirelessly streaming to some KEF speakers which was fixed by a KEF firmware update. Also had some rare track truncation issues playing 16/44.1 ALAC files, but solved that by re-downloading files from the Qobuz download store as FLAC. For the last 4 months or so have had no issues with AS and never had issues playing via a USB connection to a Chord HUGO on my desk or to a Chord Mojo when away from my desk. I suppose it comes down to pot luck as far as the myriad of system configurations in use when using UPnP.

I also have a Roon subscription which will expire in October and whilst it works for me I, unlike you, will let that lapse and stay with AS. For me the sound quality settles the issue. I, and surprisingly my very non-audiophile wife in some blind testing, prefer AS clarity and openness over that offered by Roon. Also the Roon UI reminds me of a learn to read book for 4 year olds with massive font sizes that are totally at odds with all the standard fonts in applications on my Mac (I hate wasted screen space, even on an Apple 6K display).

The “box of chocolates” that is UPnP in general and when using AS in particular is unlikely to change due to the open nature of the standard so AS will remain a great option for those who are fortunate to have system configurations that work. Alas, not so for those who don’t.

3 Likes

@Cloclo , Thank you for the informational and insightful conversation. Gives me some more education on how things work and how opinions can be different depending on local traditions and past ways of doing business. My experience and products, customer expectations, the fact that many of my customers have legal obligation and liabilities tied to the services and products we provide are certainly completely different than a product such as Audirvāna. So points taken and let’s each find a solution that works best for us.

1 Like

Well, I officially gave up on UPNP - I just bought a refurb 2014 Mac mini, put Studio on it, and have it direct connected to my DAC. It’s early days, but so far I have seen none of the problems I experienced when using the RPi - albums play all the way through, I can switch between local and Qobuz with zero issues, etc. In a way it feels bad to have to capitulate to Studio’s problems, but I really would not want to switch to Roon, and I don’t think there’s any decent alternatives.

2 Likes

With a single endpoint, it’s feasible.
Take advantage of what you did, and use Studio on your 2014 Mini with Direct Mode. It’s possible with the old macOS versions.

What I’m going to tell you is completely off-topic, but I can not resist.
These are not French traditions at all. It’s some kind of post-modern culture that spreads in our country, and that can drive you crazy. And it has consequences on anything you do.

Just an example. Do you know how long it takes today to renew your passport, if you live in Paris?
In Paris, the capital, not in some lost village in the bush, it takes more than 4 months to renew a passport!
You have to wait more than 2 months to get an appointment with a public servant, just to give him your documents and fresh photos. After that, the administration needs more than two other months to find a public servant to stick your photo to a passport, and to stamp it!
I believe that in most Third World countries, you get a quicker service.

1 Like

Glad that you have solved the issue you have and hope you are still enjoying a stress free experience with AS!

I feel you are being a little harsh on Studio when you say “In a way it feels bad to have to capitulate to Studio’s problems”. UPnP is an open standard which is pretty loose. The UPnP problems experienced in Audirvana are a function of a mismatch of implementations of this “loose” standard by both Audirvana and hardware vendors. It is in effect a marriage of implementations, with problems that can be solved by either party. As such it would be equally appropriate to address your hardware vendor and demand they test their UPnP implementation with AS whilst also doing the same with Audirvana. I personally sent emails to KEF with my problems with UPnP to their LS50 wireless II’s, as I am sure many others did. The problem was eventually solved by a firmware update from KEF. If everyone did so then maybe the hardware vendors might come to the conclusion that they need to ensure their systems work with Audirvana.

Roon Labs recognised this problem of a loose standard and instead implemented RAAT, their own audio transport system (not sure whether they developed it themselves or licensed it from another source). With a successful marketing/negotiation campaign they have managed to get many of the hardware vendors to implement RAAT in their software thus ensuring greater compatibility. If your hardware is “Roon Ready” or “Roon Tested” it should work (although judging by the Support Section of the Roon Community Forum there are still issues).

Either way, in the interest of fairness to Audirvana, they have to try and ensure compatibility with hundreds of different hardware vendors implementations of a loose UPnP standard. The hardware vendors merely have to ensure compatibility with a few audio software applications, (at least I have only been able to find and try out a few “audiophile quality” audio playback software applications myself).

1 Like

UNIVERSAL HD WIRELESS CONNECTION

Audirvāna allows you to wirelessly stream your music to your system without any loss of quality. The software uses the Universal Plug n Play (UPnP) protocol, installed on over 7 billion devices worldwide. If your system is compatible, you can select it from the audio devices list available on your network and start playing your music effortlessly with Audirvāna.

Wireless and flawless

• Automatic detection

of UPnP (or DLNA) compatible devices on the network

• Complete

operational protocol functions including gapless transitions and seek

• Double role

of the software as “control point” and ad hoc “media server”

Seems easy to me according to this information………………perhaps not after all?
@Djm1960 glad you have your kef’s sorted out, still seems to me like you did the beta testing and had to get the fix put in. Admirable certainly but I know from experience this kind of stuff more often than not ends with the vendors pointing fingers at each other and the end user caught in limbo. Just my opinion, best of luck to you mate!

3 Likes

The vendor was a Raspberry Pi running an open source version of UPNP. If Audirvāna really put some energy into it they could get their implementation working better, but they’ve chosen to prioritize other features and issues. That’s up to them, of course.

I stand by what I said, but am well aware of the challenges faced with working with this standard.

4 Likes

Ah marketing! Tend to ignore it myself and make use of the trial to test compatibility. Even then knowing that UPnP was not working with the KEF’s on AS’ release I still subscribed as soon as they opened subscriptions because I have loved the sound quality with Audirvana since I started with Audirvana Plus (oh and I am impulsive!). Even using airplay with its sample rate limitations to the KEF’s was very very good. Flawless with a USB connection to my Chord DAC’s.

You are spot on with the finger pointing comments. But as an impulsive, glass half full rather than empty persona I have to believe the vendors of high cost HIFI equipment will not forgo a purchase if enough potential purchasers demand Audirvana compatibility. They would have incurred costs associated with Roon RAAT support but many still adopted this. as I assume they saw it as competitive advantage over those that don’t.

Appreciate the comments, experience tells me that you are right but we all can dream.

2 Likes

All great points, If people have a current gen product and want to give it a go with the manufacturer why not? My two pieces of equipment are from Oppo and they have left the A/V market to focus on the Mobil phone segment. The good news is they work perfectly with any other products besides AS. Tidal connect, Spotify connect, Synology NAS etc etc. Just a first world problem actually, The water will find it’s own level with these issues in the end I figure.

2 Likes

As my AS subscription is yet to lapse, I thought I’d sign up for the 90 Tidal trial.
AS/Tidal appears (at the moment) to work flawlessly.
AS/Qobuz on the other hand still suffers with jumping to the 6th track.
So frustrating.

So, an update on this ‘problem’.
Have recently installed VPN (Nord) software on my NUC.
Interestingly, Qobuz (from within Studio) works absloutely fine whilst connected via VPN. The location (France, USA and England all tested) doesn’t appear to matter- it just works.
However, after disabling the VPN Qobuz once again suffers the ‘jump 5 tracks’ problem.
Any router configuration bods on here? I’ve looked and my settings are absolutely vanilla.

Weird. I’ve never looked into my routers. Neither my old nor my new one. They’ve always worked out of the box. And I don’t use VPN either.