Qobuz crashing Studio?

Hi @Antoine

I have a huge amount of entries in my log file, however I think this may be the one:

2022-03-29 19:49:16,376 [1] DEBUG Audirvana.App - Error 501 setting play mode to normal

It may however be more useful if I sent the entire log file to you?
Also, this is a brief video showing the mysterious behaviour:

Audirvāna Studio

What you can’t see on the video is the fact that the screen ‘pulses’, I’m assuming this occurs when attempting to play the next track as it stops pulsing when playback commences on the 6th track.

Yes please, it would be much more convenient to get all of the logs please :slight_smile:

Hi @Antoine

Log file emailed to support.

Forgot to mention- I’ve recently purchased a Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra (for use in work). This also suffers with the same problem, as well as my Arcam AVR-450.
However. when I use AS via Apple (as opposed to Win 10 Pro), it performs perfectly?!?

I’ve moved back to 1.12.0 , local files play again and Oppo DAC works wireless as well. Just a thought for you. Take care :wink:

Qobuz is not crashing AS here, but playback just stops after playing awhile… Not sure about local files, since I stream most of the time.

Tried the same playlist (94 tracks of my favorites) with Roon. And it plays all day.

Just that I still have some other issues with AS. Remote still doesn’t see any servers here. Qobuz occasionally going haywire with track information disappearing and some weird long numbers appearing where the information should be.

Roon on the other hand works flawlessly here… Remote works. My MacBook Air in the living room doubles as music player and Roon core. And my M1 MacBook Pro and my Nokia smartphone connect to it without problems.

Also radio stations play stutter free with Roon and show information about artist/track playing. Stuff that AS still doesn’t do. Even stations that I’ve added myself.

I’ve been toying around with my 2 systems trying combinations of Mac’s, USB sound cards and speakers. And I’ve got 2 setups that both sound great. With both AS and Roon.

My 2 AS subs will need renewal soon (May and July) but to be honest. I’m seriously starting to think about renewing my Roon sub instead. And drop AS. All these issues with AS are starting to annoy me to no end…

1 Like

For what it is worth, I am on a Mac and Qobuz does not fail. I am also not using a streamer.

1 Like

Hi @OffRode and @sandsOfArrakis

As my new streamer behaves flawlessly with both ROON and the native Lightning DS software I’ve paused my AS subscription and very much doubt I’ll be restarting it unless major improvements in it’s UPnP behaviour are made. All told it’s been an extremely frustrating experience and after approx. 8 months of having my subscription it feels like little progress has been made with regard to reliability. I keep updating to the latest release, in the hope that they (Audirvana) get it right one day, but in reality hold out very little hope. I understand that not all problems can be fixed in a timely manner but honestly don’t think we should be used as paying Beta testers.
Best wishes to you both :+1:

3 Likes

I agree with you about your views of us being paying beta testers. At first I didn’t mind it. I mean I was there at the launch of AS and immediately subbed. Even when there were a lot of aggravating bugs back then. Databases getting corrupted because of the database scanning and other stuff like that.

A lot has improved, but after nearly a year there is still a lot not working as it should. And getting cricket noises as replies isn’t that helpful either. You with your UPnP issues, and me with the Android app amongst other things.

I’ve cancelled my Roon sub late last year. It is still running because it’s set to expire in June. However I’ve decided to turn auto renew back on. Both my AS subs are still turned on. But if things do not improve before the first one will be renewed (in May), I’ll pause both of them.

Real shame as AS is a terrific piece of software. It sounds great, and I do like the way it looks and works. However the continuing issues I’m having are really putting me off.

4 Likes

Hi @sandsOfArrakis

Hard to disagree with any of that :+1:
Do you use both of your AS subscriptions in one location? If so, as you know ROON has the ability to play to 6 zones, so the £120 per year for ROON will equate to the same as your 2 existing AS licenses. Whilst I prioritise SQ, it’s not much use when I find myself constantly battling with the superior sounding software. I just want something that works reliably.
I think pausing you subscription is a good idea. You can re-subscribe when (if) AS works as advertised. Good luck mate.

2 Likes

I have a subscription to another player that will end in the summer.
I may subscribe then to AS if Damien fixes the UPNP issues with Volumio, because two of my family members use this distribution on their favorite endpoints. When I tried AS a month ago, it worked on my endpoint with GentooPlayer, but as a result, it worked only with one endpoint out of three.

EDIT
The remote also deserves to be more functional.

1 Like

Yes I do. Using two AS subs here. One for each MacBook. I hate having to log in/out all the time.

I do have a single sub for Roon. I’ve set up my MacBook Air to play music in the living room, and it’s also the Roon core. To which both my MacBook Pro and my Android smartphone connect to. I can operate the Air either through my Android’s remote app or through desktop sharing using my MacBook Pro to remotely login to the Air itself. I can also do maintenance this way. macOS has this feature build in by default and it works fabulously :smile:

Yeah a single Roon sub will be slightly cheaper compared to 2x AS. This year it was identical as I got a discount on one of the AS subs since I already owned an A3.5 license.

Definitely will be dropping AS. It sounds a bit better compared to Roon. Which itself sounds very nice as well. But I prefer having a system that works. Which Roon does and, sadly, AS does not.

2 Likes

Yes, 100% agree @sandsOfArrakis

1 Like

After last update some radios plays well but others the same. Increasing the radio buffer more or better adding an option like other players (xx seconds) will also be good and probabily a solid fix for radio playback. Artist/Track info to be added, radio recording feature like other players, nevermind…

2 Likes

@DGrigorescu, Yes that would have been great if the radio was done properly. But considering how many months it took to get the BACK button to work pretty much correctly I’m going to suggest we don’t try to hold our breath. :flushed:

2 Likes

It’s a small company, so it may take them another year or two to fix everything.
Patience is gold. In France, the weekly working hours are only of 35. Such is our law. So, we are used that everything takes a lot of time. It’s not like in the Silicon Valley or in China, where employees work much longer, and finish the job faster.

I get that there is perhaps some difference in work ethic but it’s not like your driving a semi truck where hours logged are carefully overlooked by the government. I personally find it to very hard to believe that a self employed person working at a desktop that can be located virtually anywhere would be constrained by some arbitrary hours “ rules “ But its their business and they can have or not have any feeling of urgency to meet the obligation to the customer. I was one of the early supporters of the new “ plan “ subscription and all but after 9 months I have seen too many issues to think about remaining loyal to Audirvāna when they haven’t reciprocated in kind. 3.5 on my little headphones system will do fine, 1.12.2 was a bust out for me completely.

Seems I’m not alone in this unfortunate realization. It’s just a hobby though after all.

2 Likes

I don’t remember the Audirvāna company explaining this to the customers that they charged for a years subscription ? Perhaps I missed something when they sold a beta level product to me. I can only laugh now every time I see “ please post your debug “. :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

It does not matter where the employee is working. He can be in the office or even at home, as it is the case with many, since Covid. If he works more than 35 hours, the boss must pay him an expensive overtime salary for each hour, in addition to the social charges that are very high in France. If they’ll do that in Audirvana, they’ll probably have to double the subscription fee.

In addition, if the productivity of the company sucks, because of an employee that is not efficiant enough, you can not fire him, unless he commits a huge blunder. In France, the employees are very well protected by the law. It’s like that.

1 Like

That’s all very interesting but I still believe that Damien as an self employed owner has personal options at his disposal, but it’s pretty obvious that they have the course set as they please………no problem then. The marketplace will have the final vote in the end.

I don’t think I could stand someone trying to tell me how much effort I could put into my company ( other than the boss lady😉) My customers wouldn’t appreciate it either. Guess that’s what makes the world go round

2 Likes