RAM Issues?

I’m thinking his good old days were possibly under comrade Stalin in the Soviet Union, “ make a mixtape off to the gulag for 20 years of hard labor “

@reddog1 , you didn’t have to smuggle it out hidden in a body cavity? :joy::wink::rofl:

1 Like

Not my experience, I’m afraid.
When I worked in the City of London, I was able to ‘rent’ cassettes and vinyl from the Barbican library and take them home for a nominal fee. Absolutely nothing underhand about it.
More recently, I’ve been able to ‘rent’ CD’s and DVD’s from my local library in Sevenoaks. Once again, totally legally.
Perhaps the law is different in ‘the land of the free’. :wink:

1 Like

@patifr …Is the library you are describing in the USA? Is it private or public…? Do they buy, sell and trade records?

@Ironz …The “rent” you paid and pay are the royalties paid to the licensers by the library… The royalities are fractionally small… but they add-up in aggregate of the licensee base…

1 Like

Yep, I understand this.

But, and I quote, ‘My bet is they don’t allow them to leave the building.’

This in my experience is/was not the case.

1 Like

Screenshot 2023-05-22 210132

2 Likes

The state’s have a fantastic public library system. Through my high school years I was a regular user of the public library, different cities and states and always an excellent place for knowledge and entertainment. Before the internet screwed everything up :rofl:

Best use of taxpayers dollars, every level of society is welcome to participate.

3 Likes

@Ironz … Right… I was specifically responding in the context of OffRoad’s link to the Los Angeles Public Library:

My entire quote is this:

(Maybe under special conditions…)

In regard to their E-Media and Digital Content, that content may also be heavily watermarked and have more digital-use scrutiny associated to copyright protection…

I know that Internet Providers are bound to intervene when copyright infringement is brought to their attention, and they will take action on behalf of the content owner(s) to halt the illegal use of their content… They can monitor P2P network abuses and take legal action.

I don’t know how it is in your country, but we used to stamp the inside of books with the library name, that was not easily removed, and if you didn’t return it, the fines would accumulate after the due-to-return date.

Yep, local your library would often have a ‘record library’, just as for books.
But, you’re right, things are different in the land of ‘the free’, libraries are not even allowed books these days…

I would frame it as a respect for the work of musical artists and the community of individuals and companies that they support… Making money, is a matter of popularity and relevance… Some here in this thread feel that capitalism is an affront on the human condition… I argue that the pursuit of self-determined wealth and success, is a noble exercise that for the most part, has brought a quality of life that is envious of those, in socio-political environments of oppressive authoritarianism that leach and graft from the proletariat.

It shows how technology is a double-edged sword… you win some, and you lose some…

1 Like

Capitalism an affront? Too right it is. It is capitalism that leeches off the labours of the workers, it is capitalism that is now destroying our environment in pursuit of ever more profit. It is capitalism that is fuelling the environmental crisis. It is capitalism that oppresses, and requires the authoritarian state to do so. it is capitalists funding the likes of Trump, De Santis, Erdogan, Putin, Modi, to name but a few of the right wing authoritarians in the pockets of the rich.

2 Likes

Food for thought… The Democrat Party has set public policy for about the last 90 years here in the USA… Do you think the hierarchy of other governing bodies are not oppressive and are not subjugating the proletariat while hiding behind ramparts of wealth and power? If you like your stereo system, then blame it on capitalism… hypocracy and cognitive-dissonance is the result of a lack of humility…

1 Like

I’ll bow to your technical knowledge. Your politics, though, not so much.

1 Like

Ram issues to libraries to WTF? Perhaps a quiet fade out………

BTW @Ironz , looking ripped buddy. Thought you gave up the smoking tobacco thing though?