Regression on 1.7?

Vous avez été tellement nombreux à demander le téléchargement d’Audirvāna Studio 1.7 que cela a saturé temporairement le serveur de téléchargement.
Afin d’éviter à l’avenir un tel embouteillage, j’ai activé la mise en cache du fichier d’installation sur le CDN Cloudflare.

You have been so many to request the new Audirvāna Studio 1.7 download that the file server has been overloaded, and was sending those HTTP 429 (retry later) errors to many of you.
To avoid such bottleneck issue in the future, and serve the installer faster, I’ve activated caching on Cloudflare CDN for those installer files.
You can now request again the update.

Thank you for your patience, and enjoy your music!

Hi Jacob, just making sure you see this from Damien few minutes ago
Good day

1 Like

I’ve just had a very similar crash again. In my case it seems to happen when AS has been left alone for a couple of hours.

Process: Audirvana Studio [11133]
Path: /Applications/Audirvana Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/Audirvana Studio
Identifier: Audirvana Studio
Version: 1.7.0 (10700)
Code Type: ARM-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Audirvana Studio [11133]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2021-09-25 23:01:52.901 +0100
OS Version: macOS 11.6 (20G165)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: AC64FD5D-9036-9561-AEE8-EA41C69BD3CD

Time Awake Since Boot: 690000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 71

Exception Type: EXC_GUARD
Exception Codes: 0x6000000000000012, 0x0000000000000002
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: LIBSYSTEM, [0x2]

Yes, the bat, I do confirm this on my side. It usually happens during the night where the app was up and running, trying to sync the DB.

And now, in addition, every time I restart the application, it requires user name and password to be entered.
There is no option 'remember me"?

I can see the ‘missing info’ on 1.7 on Mac with default or large fonts in dark mode.

Bigger fonts better for me.

Thanks. I will try to play with the options but at this stage I’m trying to sync the DB with the updated version 3.5.50 and so far no success.
It appears that I observe the very same behaviour as I got with Studio: Audirvana running, around 20% of CPU usage, not a big activity on network side or NAS (Small disk activity).
I’m just wondering what the app is doing? Nothing in the log…

Studio will currently analyse all your audio files to obtain a ‘fingerprint’ - early versions of AS wrote a MusicBrainz metadata tag to files, I assume this is now off by default as many of us didnpt like Audirvana writing metadata to our files without our knowledge.

The fingerprinting process can take absolutely ages, days or longer over a LAN I found for NAS based files - I’d rather it didn’t and maybe only fingerprinted when actually playing local files for example as for a large library if it read 100s of GBs of data or more over a network I think that could cause issues and I really dont want my NAS being accessed excessively without actual need.

What’s new in V1.7 except the increased size of the fonts?
Better sound?

That’s listed in the change log:

• Monterey (macOS 12) compatibility
  • Fix display issues with High Sierra (macOS 10.13)
  • Sort columns names in tracks list visible columns selection menu
  • Harden FLAC loader against corrupted files
  • Faster stop when upsampling to very high sample rate
  • Other minor fixes

Nothing really major. That version should have been named 1.6.5 maybe.

I saw the thread. However, I’m asking, because during the trial period, when there were very frequent updates, there were important changes in sound quality that were never acknowledged in the release notes. There were ups and downs…

Ok, I see. I did not find the time to make such comparison. And anyway, it could be hard to tell unless it’s pretty obvious.

Now that I managed to have AS ingesting my library, I tried to get the same results with the 3.5.50 version. I checked everything (SMB3 is used on the connection) but still have Audirvana using 20% of the CPU and doing something, but what?
I found in the list of open files that it tries to browse through the albums but it’s pretty slow (4 seconds at least per album) and it seems that some of the albums are scanned multiple times. But it’s hard to tell why…
Spending more time to debug than to listen to music…

After 6 hours of “something”, the real processing starts and I can see some messages in the log.
But, during this 6 hours of time, Audirvana actually run during around 1 hour (processing time). What did it do during the 5 hours of difference? Waiting for network/NAS? No clear signal this is the case…

The annoying thing is that 1 folder or file can be the reason for the failure of the database scan.

I would add some subdirectories first and see if that causes any problems. Expand slowly and listen to good music in the meantime.

I don’t think it’s due to one particular file as finally, after a very long period, it completes the process.

I cannot compare the total number of albums I got on A3.5 with the one on AS 1.7 as the info is gone on the updated version (Tried to play with font size but to no avail).

So, for me, two major problems with the new version:

• No more data on the total number of albums.
  • Need to reenter the credentials AT EACH restart of AS…

The sync story is another thing but I cannot understand it without knowing what the app is trying to do when saying “Synchronisation” and then when it says “Synchronisation of /xxx/XXX”.

Not enough info on the app design to understand this I guess.

The reason might be, because AS tried to connect to MuscBrainz servers for some reason. Sometimes, the server of MusicBrainz is offline during many hours.

Just my 2 cents

Don’t think so as I made the test on the V3.5 and not on AS. I don’t think that 3.5 is talking to MusicBrainz. Did it?

No, A3.5 does not connect to MusicBrainz. I thought that you had this problem with AS.

Hard to know when it keeps skipping mid-track :frowning:

Other apps just don’t do this so it’s baffling.

Yes, I certainly do.
I checked many things:

• SMB version: connections to NAS use SMB3.
  • Network speed: direct transfert from my Mac to the NAS are reasonably fast.
  • I restarted MAC, NAS and switches.

In total I have around 6000 albums on the main network volume (the one that needs more than 6 hours to complete sync). That’s a big number, not a huge one.

Still investigating but I would be helped with AS giving the possibility to have a higher level of trace (explaining what it does, producing a log file on Mac, …)

Version 1.7 no longer displays the number of albums and tracks. The number of artists is OK.
No problem with version 3.5.50 on the same computer and music files.

I already tried to rebuild the indexes and to go back to the small font display.