So how is Origin?

Sorry, but I did not know that there were two people from Audirvana who provide support on the forum.
I know only Antoine. Who is the second one?

It’s the summer vacation. We call it “les vaccances d’été”.
The country is paralyzed, especially during August.

1 Like

Must be hell at the fire department and the air traffic control,
Grocery store and power supply.

Perhaps nobody notices, just an extra long lunch in Paris

I’m actually on holiday in France. Will be in Paris in few days.

Still enjoying roaming through the forums. You never know when you’ll bump into a funny post.

1 Like

Everybody is on the beach. So, in all the coastal towns, it’s hell with huge traffic jams.
It’s the only period of the year without much traffic in Paris, and plenty of free parking places.

If you stay in Paris until August 15, you’ll see that the city will be half deserted.

You are very obviously in violation of sacred law, please immediately turn yourself into the local authorities………once they return to duty of course :wink:

No fresh baguette for weeks? That’s criminal for sure. Thanks for your sacrifice.

1 Like

I’m counting on that. :wink:

2 Likes

Well, I base my estimate on what else is available in the marketplace. With all the quirks and shortcomings, Audirvana is still the best pure audiophile player on the market. Taking that into consideration, it’s worth your time to make it work.

1 Like

The return to duty is called “la rentrée”.
People come back to work, tanned and beautiful.

Hello @cdf294,

You have the issue that some of our users from 3.5 version can have. During the conversion process, the new and old database file have some information like the file path of your tracks that are going from one to the other. The thing is that we strengthen the sync process in the new database file and it act a bit differently than the old one and in the end it can create the duplicates you have.

The only way to get rid of this is to create a new AudirvanaDatabase.sqlite file but for that you will need to move the oldAudirvanaPlusDatabaseV2.sqlite file to another location like your desktop (it’s temporary).

To go to it with the Finder:

1. Open its Go menu
  2. Pressing the option (or alt) key, and maintain it pressed. This reveals the Library command in this Go menu.
  3. Click on this Library command
  4. In the Finder window that opens, navigate into Application Support, then Audirvana
  5. You’ll find there the file AudirvanaDatabase.sqlite

Special Warning : When you delete the file AudirvanaDatabase.sqlite, you will lose all the Playlists you created in Audirvāna Studio.

However, you can back-up all those Playlists by going in the Local section of Audirvāna Studio.

After you removed the file, please reopen Audirvāna Studio and sync your tracks again to see if you have duplicates or not.

I also had this issue when I tried Origin.
It imported the database of A3.5 without asking me if I want it to do so.

Hello @Antoine ,
I don’t know if you remember, but there was a more serious issue when I tried Origin in April.
There were some wrong CUE files in my library that made Origin stuck in an endless analysis…
Was this issue fixed since then?

If I remember correctly, this was because the cue sheet file itself was wrong. We have not made any change regarding the detection of wrong cue file but I will need to check this with Damien as the next update of Audirvāna Studio/Origin will support a new format of files :eyes:

Bonjour @Antoine ,
Indeed, this was the case, and it made Origin unresponsive.
I’m looking forward for this issue to be fixed before buying the license.

I’m glad the decision was made to release Origin, as a 3.5 owner I was happy with the platform, if not the UI but I also had Roon and the price diff between Studio and Roon wasn’t enough to sway me… I think subscription model wasn’t a great move for Audirvana as a company and whilst i wish them now ill will I’m glad this has partially reversed.

Now have I swapped over to Studio? Not yet, it’s release has made me get 3.5 out and dust it off and it’s become my player again…I have a fair number of local files but also use Qobuz and leaving this out of Origin seems a bit spitful / short sighted,

I’d be happy to pay for Origin if it included radio and Qobuz, perhaps via a one-off ~30 euro plugin?

What do you think…?

Origin is the option created for those of us who do not require streaming integration… to add streaming would be a backward sterp, you have studio for that.

Why I said make it an optional (or inferred) plugin…no subscription being the goal

I understand what you said… Origin is the no subscription alternative. For the developers to add streaming to Origin would make it superfluous, and to make it a one off payment would totally undermine the subscription model of Studio, and destroy the revenue stream by which Studio is maintained. You want streaming integration, you subscribe to Studio, you want standalone, local library playback, you buy Origin. That’s the choice.

4 Likes

But Origin could do both and remove the subscription approach (which doesn’t seems to have worked out finacially for Audirvana) without impacting sound quality or service. I guess I just don’t see why I need another sub to care about…maybe it’s just me… but I think as Origin is effectively a code deletion excercise on Studio really. Maybe I should buy an Origin upgrade to encourage it’s growth :slight_smile:

I understand your logic, but this is not your decision. Also how do you come to the conclusion that the subscription model has not worked out financially for Audirvana? Or is it just a guess to make your point? I don’t think the financial situation of Audirvana is in the public domain.

The makers of Audirvana have decided that:

• Studio is subscription based and has as extra’s streaming (Qobuz, Tidal etc.).
  • Origin is a one time purchase, but without the streaming.

If they would sell a one time purchase streaming extension for Origin than nobody would subscribe on Studio anymore. Basically they just can throw Studio down the drain.

Your argument that Origin is “effectively a code deletion exercise” does not seem to hold water, because this goes for almost all software packages that offer ‘pro’ or ‘subscription’ models over cheaper versions. That is simply the way it is (cheaper versions missing functionality that is available in more expensive verstions).

I also understand from your post that you don’t like subscriptions, but as you know, the trend nowadays is subscriptions.. If you agree with that or not, it is ultimately Audirvana’s decision to make. And in the end your proposal seems beneficial for you, but in the current situation not a wise business decision for Audirvana.

In short: You could make a new thread in this forum (in the ‘user voice Audirvana’ categorie) with a feature request for this, but it seems very unlikely that it will happen in the near future, unless Audirvana decides to drop Studio completely :slight_smile:

5 Likes