Transparency on what Studio is analyzing the library for

Indeed, that’s the whole point of having a separate database for Audirvana, to preserve the files from being modified (unless the user purposefully edits the metadata or ask Audirvana to do it, like ReplayGain calculation for example).

1 Like

I asked nothing. AS started running its analysis by itself.
Is there a setting that allows the user to ask Audirvana to modify the tags?

EDIT:
By the way, in my case, this analysis never ended, because AS started it a new each time it crushed or I quitted the app.

2 Likes

I know. That’s the issue. We’re all facing it.

A fine point perhaps, but what is meant is that the additional metadata that is displayed to the user when opening the file is not added to the file. Rather, only the ID is added, which tells MusicBrainz what metadata to display.

Yes, I understand completely you do not want anything added without first agreeing to it, no matter how little.

I would think Damien was trying to do something he thought was very nice for his customers’ experience, and did not think of the full implications of adding even this little tag to a file.

Look Jude, if only the ID is added, it won’t annoy me.

But as you could have seen, in my previous post, Damien did not say that at all. He said:

we are displaying the missing metadata in Audirvana (we are not adding them in your track) .

“We are not adding them to your track” means the tracks remain unchanged.
There was another post of Damien today about this topic in which he said about the tags that AS behaves exactly like A3.5.
Unfortunately, I don’t remember in which thread Damien made this post, but I’m sure that it’s possible to find it.

Now, as I told you, if AS just added an ID to the files, it doesn’t disturb me. But who said this is the case?
You say it, not Damien! Damien said something else!

We have seen too many bugs in AS since last night, so I think we should be cautious regarding this issue which needs to be clarified.

1 Like

When you have spend an ungodly amount of time curating patiently your metadata, you do not want to see those one compromised or overturned by some MusicBrainz that think it knows better. It does not, It just knows more…

2 Likes

And the 8 other volume leveling tags. That data should be kept in the database.

If AS changes the tags, I may continue to test it tomorrow, but I will do it with a few thousands of tracks that I’ll copy to a USB-Key and won’t care, then, what AS does to them.

At the moment, this application is unstable and may stop working.
If it stops while the application is writing tags to a file, the file may be corrupted.

There are many other minor risks, such as the impact on automatic backups due to changing timestamps.

Of course, no other application exists that behaves in such a ridiculous way. (Roon, JRiver, HQPlayer, Foobar2000)

And, lo and behold, the only thing we get as a result of this file analysis is garbage information!

1 Like

Indeed I don’t think you or anyone else should just take this on faith. I have been reading what people who have looked at the files have written, here and on Audiophile Style. We will all come to our own conclusions in our own time, and hopefully more information will be forthcoming from Audirvana.

Let’s get a new version out where everyone can opt out of the audio analysis and MusicBrainz editing. If there are users out there that want those features they’ll be available, for the rest of us we can just start using the product and evaluating it.

My understanding, which could be wrong, is that the volume leveling tags are not written automatically without any user choice in the settings. If you don’t ask for Audirvana to use ReplayGain, are the tags written?

It matters, because the tags AS changed in my library belonged to files that were backed-up by the fact that they were on a RAID-1 drive. So the changes were written automatically to the backup drive as well. It’s impossible to rewind the situation.

1 Like

I agree with you 100%. I only meant it as a part time solution until they resolve this issue to ensure your audio files remain intact. End of the day, your music collection is more important than an audio player you happen to be testing.

3 Likes

Okay. When I recommend Audirvana Studio to people, I’ll tell them, “Don’t forget to back up your files!”

I don’t know if they’ll actually use Audirvana Studio.

2 Likes

It’s not a beta testing time. Thank you Captain Hindsight, give a pat to Shoulda, Coulda and Woulda for me. The developper says your file will remain untouched. But they are modified, that’s the point.

1 Like

Off-site… The files are not lost, the tags may have been modified.
These are heavy DSD files that you can not upload easily and at a reasonable price to a server on the cloud. It’s just a private music collection, not a commercial data of an international corporation.

If you want to know, I have another copy of all these DSD files, but in a compressed format, DSF-WV, on SSD drives. Would the files have been lost, I could have recovered them with a lot of work.

EDIT:
And I disagree with you that a RAID-1 isn’t a reliable backup. I use enterprise grade drives that are expensive and are very reliable.

You can’t expect people to go to the trouble of maintaining two different backups, identical except for a single metadata tag, especially those who pay for cloud storage for large collections who would have to double them.

What are you talking about?
There’s no player who modifies your metadata without warning you!
And Damien said officially that AS does not write metadata to the tracks.
And metadata is something that you modify by yourself very often.
How do you want to keep a back-up off site of your files with all your metadata updated?

I told you already that beside the backup by RAID-1, I have another copy of the files in a compressed format.