Upsampling issues on Mac M2 Studio Ultra with OS Sonoma 14.3 + Origin 2.5.10

I am FURIOUS to get such garbage performance from an expensive application like Audirvana Origin. I have the fastest Mac available (M2 Studio Ultra w/ 192GB) and a Lynx Studio Hilo. I want to listen to my music at either 192KHz or 176.4KHz. The upsampling is based on 48/96/92 44.1/88.2 files, respectively using RBrain. The issues?

1. OFTEN during in a listening session, Audirvana will only play partway into a track, then skip to the next. I can see that the waveform has not filled out for the full track. I can sometimes force an update by toggling the waveform on/off. OR clicking ahead in that track and it will fill in. Then I have to click back to where I was originally.

2. Even if Audirvana does not truncate a track during playback, I will get sporadic pops, clicks or drop-outs, but at a low volume.

3. If I am playing back a DSD128 (1.1 PCM) at 176.4KHz (hardware upsampled), there is a low-level constant crackling. Sporadically when I change tracks, there is a LOUD click that makes me yank the headphones from my head.

Settings:

• System Optimiser = ON
  • Disable Screen Saver = ON
  • Priority = EXTREME
  • Disable Spotlight = ON
  • Disable Time Machine = ON
  • 62GB allocated for buffering (I have gone as low as 10GB with no impact.)

Thus, it is IMPOSSIBLE for it to be an issue on my end with either the processor or RAM being insufficient to keep up with on-the-fly upsampling. Are you certain you are using the Performance Cores and NOT the Efficiency Cores for Apple Silicon systems???

To test this, tonight I turned off upsampling and set my Hilo to upsample to 192KHz. Oh, look! Issues #1 and #2 disappear completely. As issue #3 is still present, Audirvana’s DSF conversion to PCM is at fault. (The Hilo can only handle DSD64 so I cannot process directly via hardware.)

Maybe these issues started with the upgrade to Sonoma? Or it’s an M2 problem? I had the M1 Ultra up until July and I don’t remember being this frustrated. (And the M2 Ultra arrived w/ Sonoma so no way to test backwards.)

You’re right: your computer has more than enough power to upsample within Audirvana.
M2 and Sonoma are not the cause of your problems, many of us are delighted with this configuration. I personally upsample and use other very demanding software at the same time.

Check disk speeds, cables, network (where is stored your music?)
More help to come from developers on Monday.

Please paste your Debug Info here so folks can help the best possible…
Settings → My Account → Help → Debug Info

My system has no significant playback problems when up-sampling PCMxxx to DSD128 via r8Brain in Audirvana Studio…

macOS Monterey version 12.7.3 (21H1015)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Approximately 4GB allocated for playback pre-load memory…

• Local connection to the DAC via USB 3.0

You have to question why more folks are not having the problems you are describing…

:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:

Which LSlot interface is installed? …If no LSlot interface is installed how are you transmitting S/PDIF or AES/EBU digital-audio signals to the Hilo?

For information I have used Audirana and Sonoma since it was released with M series Macs (M2 and M3) and I have not had a single issue upsampling to PCM 768 or DSD 256 during this time. I never disable Time Machine or Screensavers and the system works flawlessly whether I use USB to a chord DAC or wirelessly over UPnP to my endpoints. This is despite using my Mac for RAM and processor intensive raw image or video editing or engineering simulations whilst using Audirvana. As such the software, your Mac’s specs and operating system are not the issue.

The problem will lie in your setup (settings) configuration or, in an unlikely but possible worst case, compatibility with your DAC.

As @Agoldnear requests you need to post your debug information which lets us all know your settings / configuration in order for us to suggest potential solutions.

Thanks for the fast response. Let’s forget I said “furious” in the first message. :wink:

Disk speed and network are all irrelevant as music is stored on internal Apple’s SSD which is faster than any external. The Hilo DAC is connected via a brand-new OWC Thunderbolt 4 cable. Yes, I have other applications running at the same time, but I can see on my heads-up display that the processors are barely being used.

Here’s another interesting piece of the puzzle I neglected to mention last night: I get the same pops/clicks/drop-outs even when I am playing a 192KHz original file and the Upsampling feature is enabled. (192KHz > 192KHz)

Curiously, I partially-replicated this on the hardware DAC. (The pops were only, say 10% as present.) This was regardless of SRC being activated or not.

I also played the same test file via Apple Music and there were no pops.

Also, with regard to connection, if I am playing through the hardware SRC it is as thus: Mac Studio > Lynx Studio AES16 PCIe (TB3) > LS Hilo (AES).

Last detail: if I switch outputs in Audirvana, it is often necessary for me to restart the computer to get rid of muddy sound. Considering I also get sporadic clicks when I switch between programs, I’m wondering how “exclusive” Exclusive Mode is?

What is hosting the AES16 PCIe card…? I utilize a Sonnettech TB3 PCIe exapansion chassis to host my USB 3.0 card and a PCI power filter/buffering card… using a OWC TB3 interconnect.

Do you have a LT-TB3 LSlot interface installed in Hilo or not??

Please post your Debug Info…

Audirvana only outputs a digital-audio signal to the given output bus… if the DAC does not sync properly after switching outputs you will lose the handshake and all bets are off… Essentially the AES16 PCIe interface is a ‘bridge’ and this must be taken into consideration.

This is often a compatibility issue (occurs with my T&A Solitaire T headphones in USB-C digital cable mode) which can be normally rectified by turning on additional latency when changing tracks, assigning 0.5-1 secs latency and also turning on the mute during sample rate change in the DAC settings. Works in my case and for others who have had this issue with their DAC’s on this forum.

This is a normal occurrence. I sometimes notice that Audirvana will only partially display the waveform (or buffer?) a track, particularly with long DSD classical tracks. In my case this does not affect playback, as playback is progressed and it gets near to the section with no waveform it appears to "buffer’ the remainder of the track and complete the waveform view. The track continues to play until the end. If yours is truncating the track at this point then there is an issue which judging by your other issues sounds to be compatibility with your hardware in its current configuration.

Thanks, but your hardware/OS configuration is vastly different than mine. We’re trying to drill down whether it’s a Sonoma or M2 issue, really. As I said, I “think” the issue was not present on my M1 Ultra Studio running Ventura.

Audirvana Origin 2.5.10 (20510)

macOS Version 14.3 (Build 23D56) with 192GB physical RAM

Connected account of : redacted
NETWORK

SIGNAL PROCESSING:

Polarity Inversion:
	Globally: OFF
	Per track: ON
Effects plugins ACTIVE in realtime mode with new macOS API
	No plugin active

UPSAMPLING:
r8brain not in use
r8brain filter parameters
Bandwidth = 99.5%
Stop band attenuation 218dB
Phase linear

AUDIO VOLUME:
Max allowed volume: 44.7483
Replay Gain: by album
SW volume control: OFF

LIBRARY SETTINGS:
Sync list: 5 folders
AUTO: /Users/redacted/Music/NEW trax/7digital
AUTO: /Users/redacted/Music/NEW trax/DSD
AUTO: /Users/redacted/Music/NEW trax/FLAC
AUTO: /Users/redacted/Music/NEW trax/ProStudioMasters
AUTO: /Users/redacted/Music/NEW trax/The Fellowship of the Ring Complete - 24bit 48KHz 5.1 DVD-A (FLAC)
iTunes/Music library synchronization: last synchronized on Sun Dec 24 17:01:05 2023

Library database path: /Users/redacted/Library/Application Support/Audirvana/AudirvanaDatabase.sqlite

Remote Control server:
Listening on 127.0.0.1 on port 50088

=================== AUDIO DEVICE ========================

Active method: Local

Max. memory for audio buffers: 61934MB

Local Audio Engine: CoreAudio
Exclusive access: ON
Integer mode: ON
Use max I/O buffer size: ON
Actual I/O buffer frame size: 512

Preferred device:
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc. 1: Lynx AES16e
Model UID:LynxAudioDevice-Model010028
UID:LynxAudioDevice-UID010028

Active Sample Rate: 192kHz
Hog Mode is off

Bridge settings:
Sample rate limitation: none
Sample rate switching latency: none
Limit bitdepth to 24bit: OFF
Mute during sample rate change: ON

Selected device:3: Hilo-TB3
Manufacturer: Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
Model name: Lynx Studio Technology, Inc. 3: Hilo-TB3
Model UID: LynxAudioDevice-Model033116
UID: LynxAudioDevice-UID033116
ID 0x7a

6 available sample rates up to 192000Hz
Audio buffer frame size : 58 to 3072 frames
Current I/O buffer frame size : 512

Volume Control
Physical: No
Virtual: No
Max volume alert: Enabled

MQA capability
Auto-detect MQA devices: Yes
Not a MQA device, user set to not MQA

DSD capability
Unhandled (PCM conversion) with boost gain of 6dB

Device audio channels
Multichannel: 16 channels
Preferred stereo channels L:1 R:2
Channel bitmap: Ox3, layout:
Channel 0 mapped to 0
Channel 1 mapped to 1
Channel 2 unused
Channel 3 unused
Channel 4 unused
Channel 5 unused
Channel 6 unused
Channel 7 unused
Channel 8 unused
Channel 9 unused
Channel 10 unused
Channel 11 unused
Channel 12 unused
Channel 13 unused
Channel 14 unused
Channel 15 unused

Audio channels in use
Number of channels: 16
Use as stereo device only: No
Simple stereo device: No

8 output streams:
Number of active channels: 16, in 8 stream(s)
Channel #0 :Stream 0 channel 0
Channel #1 :Stream 0 channel 1
Channel #2 :Stream 1 channel 0
Channel #3 :Stream 1 channel 1
Channel #4 :Stream 2 channel 0
Channel #5 :Stream 2 channel 1
Channel #6 :Stream 3 channel 0
Channel #7 :Stream 3 channel 1
Channel #8 :Stream 4 channel 0
Channel #9 :Stream 4 channel 1
Channel #10 :Stream 5 channel 0
Channel #11 :Stream 5 channel 1
Channel #12 :Stream 6 channel 0
Channel #13 :Stream 6 channel 1
Channel #14 :Stream 7 channel 0
Channel #15 :Stream 7 channel 1

Stream ID 0x7b 2 channels starting at 1
6 virtual formats:
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 192kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 176.4kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 96kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 88.2kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 48kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 44.1kHz

6 physical formats
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned high in 32bit 192kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned high in 32bit 176.4kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned high in 32bit 96kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned high in 32bit 88.2kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned high in 32bit 48kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned high in 32bit 44.1kHz

Stream ID 0x7c 2 channels starting at 3
6 virtual formats:

6 physical formats
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned high in 32bit 192kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned high in 32bit 176.4kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned high in 32bit 96kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned high in 32bit 88.2kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned high in 32bit 48kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned high in 32bit 44.1kHz

Stream ID 0x7d 2 channels starting at 5
6 virtual formats:

6 physical formats

Stream ID 0x7e 2 channels starting at 7
6 virtual formats:

6 physical formats

Stream ID 0x7f 2 channels starting at 9
6 virtual formats:

6 physical formats

Stream ID 0x80 2 channels starting at 11
6 virtual formats:

6 physical formats

Stream ID 0x81 2 channels starting at 13
6 virtual formats:

6 physical formats

Stream ID 0x82 2 channels starting at 15
6 virtual formats:

6 physical formats

Local devices found : 6
Device #0: ID 0x76 Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K
Manufacturer: Blackmagic Design
Model UID: Intensity Pro 4K
UID: 75:395ac604:00000000:Audio
Model name: Blackmagic Design Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K
Device #1: ID 0x3d Studio Display Speakers
Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Model UID: Studio Display Audio Control:05AC:1114
UID: AppleUSBAudioEngine:Apple Inc.:Studio Display:00008030-000A79161AE0802E:8,9
USB Vendor ID: 0x05ac
USB Product ID: 0x1114
Model name: Apple Inc. Studio Display Speakers
Device #2: ID 0x33 LG UltraFine Display Audio
Manufacturer: LG Electronics Inc.
Model UID: LG UltraFine Display Audio:043E:9A66
UID: AppleUSBAudioEngine:LG Electronics Inc.:LG UltraFine Display Audio:7241000:2
USB Vendor ID: 0x043e
USB Product ID: 0x9a66
Model name: LG Electronics Inc. LG UltraFine Display Audio
Device #3: ID 0x70 Mac Studio Speakers
Model UID: Speaker
UID: BuiltInSpeakerDevice
Model name: Apple Inc. Mac Studio Speakers
Device #4: ID 0x7a 3: Hilo-TB3
Manufacturer: Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
Model UID: LynxAudioDevice-Model033116
UID: LynxAudioDevice-UID033116
Model name: Lynx Studio Technology, Inc. 3: Hilo-TB3
Device #5: ID 0x47 Aggregate Device
Model UID: ~:AMS2_Aggregate:0
UID: ~:AMS2_Aggregate:0
Model name: Apple Inc. Aggregate Device

UPnP

UPnP devices found : 0

Chromecast

Chromecast devices found : 0

ADAT in the L-Slot, but irrelevant to this.

AES is output from the Lynx AES card and input to the Hilo. It’s a stable chain as a majority of the artifacts disappear when I use the Hilo’s SRC.

Again, I don’t recall this annoying behaviour when I was using the Hilo with the M1 Ultra under Ventura. Audirvana isn’t the first application that I have encountered Sonoma-related issues with, alas.

Yes, the Hilo has the TB3 card installed. (The ADAT L-slot card is paired in the Sonnettech TB3 enclosure with the Lynx AES16.)

As I have said does not occur for me with Sonoma 14.3 on an M3 Max MacBook Pro with 128 GB Ram. Prior to getting the M3 max I had an M2 Max with 96 GB which also worked fine in Sonoma with no issues.

Heading out will look at your debug info when I get back. Just one thing the Audirvana RAM allocation for buffering is largely irrelevant when you have large amounts of RAM, it defaults to high values. I only allocate 6 GB RAM to my buffer and don’t have issues with files upsampled to DSD256. Audirvana app only ever uses +/- 3.5 GB to 4GB of this allocation. Setting a larger buffer just means Audirvana will use more RAM for buffering in my experience but doesn’t impact playback performance. As regards CPU utilisation 1-4% during playback and will peak at +/- 10% when processing and upsampling the file prior to playback. You Mac is massively overspecified for Audirvana

It’s the TB3 connection between the Hilo and the Mac that may/may not have handshake issues. Power cycling the Hilo is not enough to restore Audirvana’s performance. It’s as if an audio cache has to be purged via Restart to get things right again.

Could that be it ?..
can you put it at 100% or lower it elsewhere?
or put it at a rounded number 50% ?

Since it is weekend for Audirvana, let see if it is just a Sonoma bug…

@swordpen you want an earlier version of Origin? you know what version you want to try back, i kept all of them safe :slight_smile:

@swordpen
I have a Mac mini M2 with mcOS Sonoma 14.3 and Audirvana Studio.
Everything works fine.
DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256.
PCM up to the DAC maximum which is 768Khz

DAC - iFi Neo iDSD

I believe it could be a configuration problem.

Volume Control was disabled, but I enabled it and put to 100% for this test. Fortunately, I remembered to have the Hilo’s volume off. I don’t get the file’s audio output, just a BUZZ clipping my meters. Even with the Audirvana’s volume set to ZERO (both on the slider by the lock) and the setting pop-up window. For this reason I long ago stopped trusting Audirvana’s VC!

Thanks, but I did not mean I needed an older version of Origin. I cannot test under Ventura because my only Mac is running Sonoma.

This cannot be true if the statement below is true…

??? You are sending AES/EBU from the Lynx AES16 hosted in a Sonnettech TB3 expansion chassis connected to TB3 from the computer, to the Hilo, not TB3 directly connected to a LT-TB3 LSlot interface installed in Hilo… The AES16 interface is a balanced S/PDIF ‘bridge’ to the DAC in the context of using Audirvana…

There is no practical reason to allocate 62GB of pre-load memory…

What are configuring in the Aggregate Device?

Try disabling Integer Mode… Audirvana may not be addressing the low-level architecture of the AES16 bridge/Hilo properly…

You must manage your gain through the system… could be causing overload clipping on some files…

The AES16 is a bridge and must be accounted for…

You may want to start with a 2-channel set-up…

Also…

This thread is getting twisted up. I’ll take the blame; I was trying to address each post separately.

I realised after answering that when you asked about the L-Slot you were referring to what was in the Hilo. I have two Lynx L-cards, ADAT and TB3. The former is paired in the Sonnet TB3 box with the Lynx AES16 card. The latter is installed in the Hilo.

One cannot access the SRC chip of the Hilo over TB3. The only choice is AES or S/PDIF. Thus, when I was testing Audirvana’s Upsampling, it was via the TB3 connection straight to the Hilo. With Upsampling disable, I was outputting via TB3 to the Sonnet box and into the Hilo via AES.

Yes, I agree. That’s a lot of RAM. As part of the troubleshooting, I have tried various amounts starting from whatever the default is. Audirvana’s only pop-up help states that the more RAM, the more the application can buffer ahead. Makes zero difference.

The Aggregate Device is the Hilo + AES16 card. Only way Cubase will recognise more than one digital output. That said, I deleted it and made no difference.

Integer Mode cannot be disabled. No control for that on Apple Silicon systems.

I have tried setting the Multichannel playback to Stereo. Made no difference previously, but testing now to see how it fares when I am running the audio through the Hilo SRC.

That’s the DSD conversion default. I’ll try it at 0db. Why not.

I’m not having all these issues when connected to the AES16, but I already have those default Bridge settings. (Except for bitdepth which is not present.)

Yes, Extreme priority was always enabled.