Audirvana 3.5.37 freezes at startup

All my audio files are on a local secondary NTFS HD.

Edit: I removed the monitored local folder and added my NAS folder and had same issue. My NAS folder has always been separate from my local music folder and is used with my Volumio network player and also as a redundant backup. I then added a single artist folder with 10 albums on my local drive and it still locks up.

I was going to try and revoke this computer and wipe all traces of Audirvana and reinstall. But a revoke won’t allow me to reinstall for 24 hours, so I am not sure I could wipe Audirvana without a trace unless I revoke and wait…I did do a wipe before, but didn’t revoke and it still froze at startup.

So, what is the best way to completely wipe Audirvana and reinstall?

Edit: Nevermind it started doing it again.

I think I fixed it.

I uninstalled it, then scrubbed the registry and deleted the left over folders in C:\Users\Dave\AppData. There was an old folder in there for the original Windows version…so, maybe that was causing the issue.

So far I have restarted it a few time and it does not freeze.

I reset all the data for the application through the Windows App settings. Opened Audirvana with no folders or music loaded at all and the application still froze when opening to the Artists view after a few seconds. This makes it seem like it has absolutely nothing to do with the media or its location since in this case there is literally no media involved.

I tried completely uninstalling Audirvana and removing all registry entries and once I add my music to my library, I get the same behavior once I have the application open in Artists view.

Could this be related to the fact that in the settings screen I am unable to switch the auto-update off? If I click on AUTO it just does a weird text box color change but does not actually appear to change the setting at all and it just stays highlighted white as shown in the screenshot below.

Dear Damien,

I have flac files stored on an internal ssd (ntfs) with the following data structure. Every artist has his own directory which contains directories that contain the artists albums.

The total contents of the Jazz artist folder is about 200Gb of flac files.

I investigated the bug and it looks like the program runs into an endless loop at startup where it allocates memory but does not release the memory, since I observe an increasing allocation of memory when the program freezes.

The ssd is a 500Gb Samsung 860 evo sata.

Nothing special, so I think it has nothing to do with external storage.

The other computer I have is AMD based (instead of INTEL) and also has the files stored on a local internal ssd. This computer also freezes at startup in the artist pane.

Secondary Drive (internal) Samsung 860 EVO NTFS format.

Hi Damien,

I am using Audirvana on Windows 10 Pro (x64 version 2004), part of my music is located locally, however the main library is on a Synology NAS.

My current workaround is to immediately hit the settings button. After which I have no issues.

Hello @eightninenine,

Can you try to defragment your database using the button in the Maintenance settings:

After doing this, can you go in the artist view and reopen Audirvana?

Hello @Antoine,

Wouldn’t the fact that the issue of the application freezing at startup in the Artist view occurring in a completely fresh installation (with all prior files and registry entries removed prior to installation) with no music directory or files added to the library indicate that the location/type of storage device and the defragmenting of the database are not relevant? If there is no music location or music files in the database how can any of these be the cause of the application freezing?

I cannot speak for other users, but the issue seems to be related to Audirvana attempting to auto-update/refresh the database when starting in the Artist view and crashing/failing, causing the application to just eat up memory resources indefinitely until you force the application to close. For whatever reason, changing the view before it gets a chance to do this stops the behavior from occurring.

Hope this helps.

Hi Damien,

I tried this, and I found out that if I run Audirvana with remote desktop I have no freezing problems in the artist pane. But when I do a defragmentation and start up in the artist pane not within remote desktop, the program still freezes. so I think the bug has something to do with the interaction with the graphics card. In both computers I have a Nvidia gt1030 graphics card running the latest driver version. I hope this helps you finding the problem.

@ljmarxen This bug doesn’t only occur on fresh install, in my case It started on 3.5.37, no freeze with previous versions, and no clean install

@Bozoleclown I understand, mine started with the upgrade to 3.5.37 as well. I was stating that it still occurs after a clean install with no directories or music files having been added to the library, which would make the discussion about location of music files and the defragmentation of the database seem not relevant to the problem.

@Bjkooij idea about it being related to the video card sounds promising since he was able to get the software to not crash through remote desktop which defaults to a Microsoft Default Video Driver. It could also be related to the audio driver, since this also changes to a default Microsoft driver for remote desktop sessions.

@ljmarxen
In remote desktop the audio signal is still transported via asio and doesn’t follow a different path. If you are not running Audirvana under remote desktop you can observe that when the program freezes that there is a conflict with depicting the artist picture in the artist pane, which to me seems a bug related to the graphics adapter.

Sometimes I also have problems in Qobuz. Then the program does not freeze but the album pictures are scanned and displayed several times. So I think there is a conflict between scanning and displaying that causes Audirvana to freeze.

Hi Damien,
My files are on an external USB3 drive, Simple - Basic - NTFS - Healthy (Primary Partition).
Problem is only in Artist View, if I close in album view there is no problem at startup.
Good luck

Hallo there,
I still have this problem now (on Win10). I usually keep the library window on Artist (Album), so I will try to switch to album. But hey, this has been happening for months now apparently, still no fix? I have now re-installed the program about 10 times, and it’s getting rather annoying.

I’m done…

Nothing is getting fixed. Can’t use it as a local media player because of this crashing issue. It will not scan and add music ether automatically or manually without crashing. And the Qobuz flashing problem that I posted months ago is still a problem.

I have sent the requested files with no fix. When I email and ask for an update…no reply. This has been going on for over two months.

I have come to the conclusion that Audirvana has zero use to me. Back to JRiver and the standalone Qobuz app.

I just don’t get it. The least you could have done is roll back to a version before all the crashing instead of letting paying customers become frustrated.

I am having the same issues too. I had my files on an external usb 3 drive, but then switched to files on a m.2 ssd internally and it’s still freezing at launch. If I can quickly get into settings right at launch, it may work for a short moment.

1 Like

BTW, just to add to this issue…

Even with local files off…no database, no Library, fresh install…just Qobuz. It still locks if Library is highlighted at startup.

Audirvana always freeze when sync music on internal storage.
Also, it will freeze after a extended period of time playing music (10+ hours). Really huge problem because I just leave my media Mac mini on playing 7-24, and with Audirvana freezeing occasionally is really annoying.

1 Like