Audirvana MacOS UPnP problems with Big Sur 11.3

I have used Audirvana 3.5 on a iMac running many macOS versions over the years. Now on latent macOS Big Sur 11.4. I used Airfoil from Rogue Amoebe to successfully transfer music output from Audirvana to my Google Chromecast Audio until it’s latest firmware update in december 2020. I also moved to a new apartment, things changed for the worst. Because I had serious trouble to establish a steady wi-fi connectiion to stream from Audirvana 3.5.X to my Google Cromecast Audio I was not happy to say the least. With the excellent help from Rogue we found that the connection between Airfoil and my Chromecast Audio was failing. Living without any proper music listening is no option for me. In the meantime I have installed Bubble UPnP in order to play the content of my music collection to my Google Chromecast as a renderer. I am using both Audirvana 3.5 and AS with no issues up till now. I am very impressed by the sound quality using the Rbrains setting in AS. AS has worked flawlessly for the last 3 weeks now. It would even be nicer if the remote was working as I have to walk to my office to select new music. Hope that Damien and his team will continue .working their …. off to build a killer music reproduction platform. For now we are on the right track. Good luck everyone listening your. favourite music!!!

I would not say we’re on the right track. No UPnP over a month. So my main listening method is useless.

1 Like

Upgraded to AS 1.5, but still no joy with UPNP
Still the same, select UNPNP device, press play, song loads, but does not start
@Antoine, Can we please have a reply when this will be fixed
Both 3.5 as well as AS 1.5 are unusable with UPNP still

2 Likes

Yes agreed , Mac mini,oppo205 via Ethernet no joy
Don’t need a remote if I’m stuck in one room no streaming to my Denon
AVR.

I’m thinking one goes with the other, certainly D3 is working hard at it.

Are we certain though? I’m not.

Upgraded to 1.5.1
But unfortunately still no bug fixes for UPNP
@Antoine, can we have an idea when all of the UPNP issues will be looked at.
Will we be able to have this resolved before the trial extension has expired

1 Like

What are you trying to stream to?

From Mac mini using macOS 11.4 to Classé CP800 mkii.
Worked perfectly for years with previous versions of macOS and Audirvana, but from 3.5.45 onwards with macOS 11.3 onwards, no longer worked with UPNP
Damien commented thar he had not tested with BigSur (11.3) when issue was raised early in May
UPNP appears to be a common issue in Audirvana with many users over the past 6 weeks

Updated to AS 1.5.5
Switched across the option for RAW PCM using PCM, but still not working with macOS 11.4

UPNP via Windows 10 and UPNP has been working all along from the earlier versions of AS.

GrantBu, similar results here. A bit better than before , big burst of static then will play one track then stall. Setup is Mac Mini - Ethernet- Oppo205
Display to tv hdmi shows art but track info and play arrow is incorrect.
It won’t move to second track on its own. Tried raw on/off , DSD128 and
24/192 no joy quite yet but seems D3 is on the right track hopefully!

Not for all renderers, my Cambridge Audio CXN is seen but without resorting to up scaling it won’t play via uPNP and never has

I am on Windows 10 , all updates etc

Using UPNP through BubbleUPnP driving a Chromecast Audio as a renderer. It plays any format within the restrictions that the Chromecast Audio has (24/96). In Audirvana you will find an extra option for output to the Chromecast Audio being send by the UPnP server running on macOS 11.4.

A bit of a update, upgrade to Mac OS Monterey 12.0 Beta and upnp works pretty darn well. MacMini Ethernet to Oppo205 and Denon AVR across house via bridge. Remote is working quite well!
Some minor display issues require toggle from icon to list and back, Tidal on left sidebar is perfect.
YMMV but it’s showing that D3 is on top of it.

I doubt he’s “on top of it”. Why would he fix it on a Beta OS rather than the one people are using?

Monteray has changed something that luckily allows Audirvana to work. And we still don’t know if it will work consistently for all users.

How are you connecting Audirvana to BubbleUPnP?

Big Sur has been problematic for many users/applications for some reason, other OS and equipment have had better luck. I was simply sharing what has solved my issues.
As I stated YMMV
Best of luck with your setup, hopefully soon it will be better
Good day

Thanks. I’d be very happy to know that it’s a general Sur issue and an update will make everything good. Just very frustrated - in large part due to the total silence from D3. A simple “looking into it” would have gone a long way.

To clear this incorrect assumption, it has nothing to do with Big Sur (or any other macOS) for this matter. I have set-up based on macOS Big Sur 11.4 and it has worked without any glitches. I do not recommend to update to macOS 12 as it is still in under development (aka Beta).

Setup: Setting up a DLNA connection with Audirvana is rather straightforward and works brilliantly for me. I connected my Chromecast Audio to an older amplifier in a stereo-setting. It sounds very much like today’s equipment (referencing it with Hegel and Quad Solus/Vena Play). Quite astonishing actually!
Install BubblePnp on your Mac. Make sure you have a registered and actively working device in Google Home. BubblePnp’s download and installation/configuration can be found on the web: Introduction | BubbleUPnP Server. It is basically configuring the connection-side of things by starting the server and making, in my case a Chomecast Audio, the receiving/rendering device of choice. When the server is made active, Audirvana will show it as one of its output options. If you select this named output option in Audirvana (either 3.5 or AS) and play a track hear the music from the speakers that are connected to the selected output device in Audirvana.

Configure: Make sure to configure the Chromecast (24/96) within Audirvana as well as matching the settings from BubblePnp as far as renderer options are relevant to Audirvana. From then on all media files (mp3, radio, Apple Lossless, Flac, DSD, Iso, etc. in any available resolution) will be played without any hick-ups through the BubblePnp server. It only requires a stable. preferably exclusive Wifi-network.
With the new universal Audirvana Remote you can switch your output options to your heart’s content.

Listening experience: I have set-up, fine-tuned and extensively tested this miracle option for approx. 6 weeks now. Streaming any well recorded live performance is experienced as ‘being there’. which is ludicrously amazing considering I am playing on now 30+ years old then quite average B&W Solid speakers with Solid subwoofer and a 2001 Denon 3801 AV receiver.

A word of gratitude: Its the accomplished performance, passion and effort that any performer, Damien, the playback equipment and yourself that puts Audirvana into a league of its own. Enjoy your music as a token of sincere love from those who make this incredible magic possible for those that wholeheartedly appreciate it.

2 Likes

It appears that each is different. In my case, using the combination of macOS and Audirvana to my pre amp / network player does not work, as in multiple cases reported.
This appears to have occurred as soon as macOS 11.3 was released as there were no issues in prior versions.
It appears that Bubble UPNP could be a work around in the interim, but unfortunately I do not believe it addresses the underlying compatability issue between macOS 11.3 and later and AS. In my case all other UPNP enabled software still works perfectly with macOS 11.4, and Audirvana is the only one not working correctly

1 Like

This is definitely the case, I have for years run Audirvana 3.x using UPnP to various endpoints, and have always had BubbleUPnP Server running in the background on a Mac mini, no issues at all.

The only change that broke Audirvana for me was updating the MacBook Air that houses the Audirvana instance to MacOS 11.4 Big Sur. Catalina worked fine, but Big Sur does not, I get about 5 seconds of any song on Qobuz and then it crashes into loud white noise static.

Others had reported this same issue a long time ago, and I was curious why it did not affect me, now I know it was because I had not yet updated to Big Sur.

Once I did upgrade to Big Sur, UPnP streaming of Qobuz ceased to work and even though this was a known issue months ago, Audirvana of course ignored it while they worked on their big plans to convert everyone to a monthly subscription.

I’m guessing my instance of 3.5 will now be permanently broken unless Apple miraculously does something in the forthcoming 11.5 update, or perhaps next fall with Monterrey.