Audirvāna Studio Feedback

In Windows, it’s ctrl + and ctrl -

Not sure if this is a new feature. when you click on the album art (playing) at the bottom left corner of the screen, it opens a smaller window. top left corner of that window is an “expert mode” slider which lets you analyse the signal and plots it on a cartesian plane.

I have over 270K tracks (local volume not NAS inc ~20K from streaming Q&T) and its only half way importing them thus far though I only started a few hours ago.

My guess is its doing volume level and wave form analysis - like roon does. bigger issue for me is the 11+GB of RAM it’s eating up?

One show stopper for me long term is single zone playback - a feature roon supports from day one.

Windows 10 fully updated 16GB DDR4 256GB M.2 16TB Music library drive CPU i7-7700 Fanless

11 GB is huge. Studio analyzes my files too and it eats only 1.77 GB of Ram. I’m under macOS.
Are you under Windows?

It’s new. Love the graph. It’s supposed to distinguish fake HD from real HD.

Hi Booker,

Thanks for that detailed comparison.

There have always been software products, which sounded more open and transparent in the mid range at a first glance. However, this gain in clarity always comes at the expense of what I call ’ analogue sound feeling’ . On a German forum I compared Jriver with Audirvana 3.5 with a turntable.
https://www.aktives-hoeren.de/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9462&start=135
Of course, the same recordings were used. Taking all shortcomings of that comparison into account, Audirvana was definitely much closer to the turntable than Jriver, in spite of the latter being much more open in the mids.
That is why I opted for Audirvana, in my eyes it used to be one of the most analogue sounding software products I have ever heard together with Amarra. It would be a pity if that sounding was given up in favor of pure detail rendition…

2 Likes

Mine is stuck at 10%. It’s not doing anything.

Agree on Amarra Soundquality, but doubt if it is bit perfect…

3 hours to sync 70% of library and then it crashes and I have to start again!

On my 24" monitor the fonts and their sizes makes the UI difficult to read. If I change my screen res everything else is too big.

Trying again but I won’t try more than twice!!!

It is bit prefect. That’s the whole point of audiophile players (unless you upsample, of course).

1 Like

Does anyone know what is the use of this little cursor at the right of the screenshot?

I’m moving it from side to side but nothing happens…

Maybe the analyzing is the app generating waveform views (which is cool by the way) or recalculating replay gain as it now can use two different standards ^^

No, I would doubt that Amarra is bit perfect. Try to render an MQA file with Amarra: If your hardware is able to cope with MQA files natively, it will show MQA rendition by certain indications like special lights of respective LEDs. So does the Explorer2 for example.
In spite of disengagement of all DSPs including digital Volume of course, Amarra was unable to render MQA files bit perfectly, you could derive it from a flickering LED. I suppose they are applying some sort of noise shaping.

1 Like

It’s a slider to change the size of the album covers. In other views, it’s useless (although I wish it worked because the fonts are a bit small in some views).

1 Like

It’s a zoom level when you’re in icon view. Open the albums and move the slider, you’ll notice that the cover art images size changes.

1 Like

No, I would doubt that Amarra is bit perfect. Try to render an MQA file with Amarra: If your hardware is able to cope with MQA files natively, it will show MQA rendition by certain indications like special lights of respective LEDs. So does the Explorer2 for example.
In spite of disengagement of all DSPs including digital Volume of course, Amarra was unable to render MQA files bit perfectly, you could derive it from a flickering LED. I suppose they are applying some sort of noise shaping.

1 Like

Thank you Bitracer and Yohmi, I was in list view indeed.

1 Like

Only stream across my network (wired) to my Cyrus streamer.
Ordinary CD quality tracks appear to play back well. Unfortunately my HD tracks (all in FLAC) are nothing but severe crackle and hiss, with the merest hint of music in the background.
I do not use up-sampling.
It’s the same for both locally stored files and also Qobuz.
Would the fact that AS is STILL analysing my files cause this?

I don’t use Amarra, but I would be surprised if it couldn’t play MQA to an MQA decoder. This is a good test.

October 5, 2017: Amarra Luxe 4.1 with MQA Support will Debut at RMAF October 6-8 in Denver

RMAF 2017Sonic Studio’s upcoming Amarra Luxe 4.1 media player will go live during the RMAF show in Denver on Oct 6-8th 2017. Amarra 4 Luxe supports integrated TIDAL streaming for HiFi subscribers with all the benefits of the MQA experience for local and streaming playback on macOS.

To experience the sound please visit the HeadFi-Room, and the following partners who will be showing Amarra Luxe:

1 Like

I don’t think that the analysis is the reason. AS analyzes my files too and plays Hi-Res tracks (Flac and DSF) without crackles and hiss.

1 Like