Audirvāna Studio Feedback

And just to be clear that I put my money where my mouth is: I’ve recently paid for a Roon lifetime subscription and clearly stated, in their forum (when I could still post there) that I would never go along with paying a yearly/monthly subscription - I just loathe that idea for such kinds of software, and accept to pay a premium if this is the only solution.

1 Like

ah, ok, i understand now.

I do own a house and car too. Renting is no option for me.

Matt

1 Like

DAC R2R ?
Quel modéle ?

How did you resolve this?

It’s a long history and you can read it in this thread:

Transparency on what Studio is analyzing the library for

Audirvāna Studio

But to make things short, I had to trash the Database of AS and to start everything from the beginning.
I decided to offer to the analysis only a copy of a few albums in different formats and nothing else. Now my library looks like that:

I may though add some more albums to the folder that is synchronized with Audirvana.
I’m just waiting for Damien to fix the bug that affects SysOp. Then I will listen to the sound quality of AS. It is the main thing that I’m interested in.

1 Like

@Doudou Thank! that is a long discussion. I don’t think I will have time to go through the whole thing. Was having really high expectation of 3.5 improvements/fixes before the webcast. Since then I was hoping for something good with the Studio. Now I am just disappointed. I have not been able to play music much with the Studio. I just want to enjoy the music, not to fight with the software. I think I am going to leave Studio for now and go back to Roon or even Bubble UPnP.
Will check back in 3 weeks before the trial expiration.

It’s a long thread, so I’ll explain to you.
What happened is that we discovered that during the analysis AS writes to the files.
We were very surprised because Damien said in its posts that the analysis does not affect the files. It only writes to the Database of AS.
Thousands of my files were modified by AS. I was afraid that it had modified the metadata of my classical music files with garbage metadata from MusicBrainez. And my backup of the files was also affected, because my files were backed up by the fact that they were on a RAID-1 drive.

Finally, after hours of inspection of our files, we discovered that AS added tags with IDs from MusicBrainz to the files, and did not overwrite the remaining of the metadata. So, it was not a disaster…
But for some users, it caused other problems with automated backups of TB of modified files to cloud servers. And they will pay bills for the I/O.

2 Likes

I’d feel better paying $100 for it one time only, that is , after most of the bugs and clunkiness are fixed. Honestly, that’s all it’s worth to me.

2 Likes

Well said. This has been my experience as well. I recommend delete everything related to this mess, restore your altered files, and use the current bug ridden v.3.5 or earlier. At least they kinda work.
Very nice screen handle btw, Mr. Clay.

3 Likes

Just uninstalled AS; happily back to Roon.
Dieter

1 Like

Believe it or not, I enjoy reading your post. You write with clarity and eloquence. I contend that the bulk of the sound quality comes from the DAC, amplifier, cables, speakers, and headphones.

All the music player does is convert the recording data in digital format to the hardware to reproduce the music as close to the original sound as possible. So, I always strive to buy the best DAC, amplifier, and in-ear-monitor affordable to my budget. I will then work to upgrade the music player as technology in software improves.

If you spent a large sum on the hardware you could afford, I think it is an excellent way to start even though you did it to make the “famous music player” sounds good. Imagine if your hardware can make an inferior music player sounds good; how much better your system sounds if you upgrade the music player.

Perhaps, AS is the music player that makes your hardware sings much more beautiful according to your hearing ability. If that is the case, you probably see AS as reasonable despite being subscription-based.

In my case, AS sounds very good to my ear. But it is not a significant improvement over Audirvana v3.5 or even TuneBrowser, a music player produced in Japan which costs about $30 for a master license. I will pay for the full version of TuneBrowser if it comes with a mobile app and the ability to integrate Qobuz streaming. But it does not.

So, paying AS a subscription fee at this stage is not worthwhile for my hearing ability; but it is probably worth every penny in your case. And I suspect you won’t be the only ones who appreciate AS sound quality.

I appreciate your sharing!

3 Likes

Saw that also. Changes appeared on the screen after update but did not make any screenshot. Could be great to have the change log somewhere from @Antoine

It’s so interesting to see the varied responses to AS and the comparisons with earlier iterations.

I, for one, find AS more engaging , especially with DSD but overall from 44up, transperant, spaced, full and where does that bass come from. I hear the lower end of piano like never before.

As I say, many responses.

Some small niggles which i will y with and wait for time (Damien et al) to manage.

1 Like

It’s the “don’t stop but unlock” button…
Stop buttons are sooooo 2020.

I think i start to like this button…

1 Like

Fonts - too small
Icons - too small

1 Like

Congratulations on your Third Language and the sentiments. Your English is fine , I don’t speak Portuguese !!

You are right, Dude. 3.5 has another sound than Studio. It seems to me that in 3,5 the Izotope filter with for me specific settings is no longer there in Studio, which have Sox and a for me new filter variant, but no Izotope.
In 3.5 Izotope delivers a more analogue sound than Sox.
Syrinx

3 Likes

Thank you, I shall give it a second spin with DSD. But I am sceptical it could be better than 3.5, and I know from PCM that it could be worse. There is the possibility of upsampling to DSD, if you are on to something, but my Holo DAC is optimised for NOS PCM. I wish the people who once wrote BitPerfect for the Mac had come up with a better DSD solution.

I agree with you, the articulation between the two hands works well, without loss of coherence.
I have noticed it also worked well for groups in choirs which are more distinguishable and textured.
Shame all this is marred by so many rough edges…
Still, when it works, it sounds good!

2 Likes