Audirvāna Studio Feedback

Noticed when I activate forced upsampling to my CXN over UPNP ALL files play well. So without upsampling normal files don’t play, anybody a clue ?

AS 1.1 was just released, but I have not seen any release notes or track changes. Anyone observed what has actually changed?

1 Like

At least with 3.5 I check for updates manually. So I can see the changes before updating.

Matt

1 Like

I made a new support thread, otherwise should just play native uPnP

I have had an audirvana 3.5 license for a long time. In a few days I will have a new PC on which I want to install the v3.5 (the studio version as it is does not interest me and i want listening to music, no testing a bugged software ). How to do it, where can I find the executable of the version 3.5 ? It would be a shame to lose something that I paid for and that I own… please don’t forget those who helped you when they paid for the 3.5.

2 Likes

Hi bitracer,

Thanks for the suggestion. Changed buffer size to 4gb, but hasn’t changed anything really. Still hovering between 75-80% RAM on AS, and shows between 450 and 500MB on task manager.

Looks and feels like an early beta.
I see potential, but then don’t want to pay for helping to iron out tons of bugs.
I come back in a year. Then I see again.

3 Likes

Hello, first of all, excuse me for the suspicious English. It is neither my first (native) nor second language. I have been reading this forum for a long time, but the new AS pushes me to contribute, especially in view of the real and raw “battle” started by the recent “Audirvana-team” decisions and what, so far, it offers us in return.

Here is some information that I consider relatively relevant, which, in a way, gives foundation to my further considerations:

My main system, which by today’s standards can be considered a reference in transparency, is perfectly apt to reveal subtle changes when replacing certain system links - in short: Raal SR1a + Jotunheim R/ BHSE + Stax SR-009 and SR-007 MKI, preceded by PS Audio Nuwave DSD/microRendu/Mac mini, all powered by PS Audio P10 power regenerator.

Years ago I gave up collecting files, organizing them, curating them, tagging them, and this because, after many experiments and reflections, I realized that the difference between the quality of playback of own files (maybe slightly, just maybe slightly better) and playback via streaming services (Tidal and Qobuz) does not justify FOR ME the work and time (and it is not little) spent to make the first form of playback viable.

My auditions are 100% dedicated to classical music (European tradition and something from the venerable Indian tradition).This is an important and constantly underestimated fact , if not completely ignored fact, in evaluations of systems and the material and immaterial (software) links of systems: if the electronically reproduced material is not timbrally, rhythmically, harmonically rich enough to show differences (when the recording and mixing has been able to capture this richness to its fullest extent, of course), when something changes in your system, the differences will not show. Simple as that. If someone tells me they don’t hear differences with cable changes (just to name one and the biggest source of immature confusion on forums around the world) I never ask in the first place, “what is your system?” but, “what have you been listening to and how long have you been doing it?” This is not an appreciation of the aesthetic value of what you listen to, but of the “functional” value of music for evaluations, a function that only arises when we take the audiophile position, eventually abandoning the melomaniac position.

I have been a user of “Audirvana Classic” since 05/23/2015 and a subscriber to Roon since a few months.

So, finally, some initial thoughts on these first days of using AS:

I downloaded and installed AS Sunday, in the first minutes of its availability. Everything went fine: creating the account, receiving the link, logging in, etc;

I have experienced constant crashes, I still can’t listen to an entire album without having to restart AS on Mac mini (i5, 16GB, OSX Catalina);

I need Audirvana Remote, its lack is not just any lack, it’s almost an impediment for some systems like mine (Mac headless), for now, I’m using VNC on a MacBook to control it.

Incomparable when it comes to library organization, multiple endpoints, Roon has its merit, but I was never completely satisfied with SQ (always via microRendu). Everything sounds dull, opaque, lacking liveliness. Things get a little better with Roon + HQPlayer, no doubt, but still inferior, in my system, to Audirvana 3.5. Perhaps, the reader will say, you don’t have the hardware for the task, and he may be right, however, just as I refuse to organize a library of flac files with the hi-res streaming services at hand, I refuse to join the new repertoire of obsessions brought by “computerized audiophilia”, very similar to that of gamers and their obsessions with numerically translatable performances, frames per second, powerful video cards, etc. As an audiophile, a clearly obsessive profile persona, I already have enough obsessions to take care of, I don’t need new ones.

When I put the first album to play on the new AS, I first of all took care to try out the new upsampling feature, the r8brain, and I was immediately amazed, delighted even with the degree of transparency, instrumental separation and timbre “naturalness” achieved, but I was mainly amazed at something that my system had never before achieved perfectly, not even with the Audirvana 3. 5, Roon, HQPlayer or Roon+HQPlayer: spatial coherence absolutely in order, this is one of the most relevant criteria for reproduction of good classical music recordings. The presentation of sound in space not only has to offer the sense of spaciousness in depth and lateral extension, but it has to be coherent. For reasons I cannot explain here, but which have to do with the structure of our language, “spatial coherence” is not describable, it is like “salty” or “sweet”… you “know” what a “coherent space” is when you walk down a street, you “know” what it is when you lose it walking drunkenly down that same spatially “incoherent” street.

I experimented with SoX on the AS just to confirm the jump in quality, and it was fully confirmed. The Audirvana 3.5 (SoX) sounds fuller, but much less correct on all these points. I don’t know what Damien did on the AS, but he did it well. It was an upgrade of the same level, for example, that I got when I went from stock power cables to specialized power cables.

A question that was asked somewhere on this forum or another, I don’t remember: do I then have to tolerate imperfections and this new payment model just because of increment in SQ? My PARTICULAR answer is: of course! That way, even as a “doyen” user of Audirvana Classic, once these initial bugs, common in early versions, are solved, and with the introduction of Audirvana Remote, I will adopt Audirvana Studio whatever the payment model adopted, and abandon Roon (obviously I prefer the traditional purchase model, “Audirvana 4. 0”)… until a better option comes along, because, for me, what matters is SQ and AS, in this respect, is unbeatable, so impressive that I can quietly tolerate its current and future functional and organizational imperfections (according to the type of user I am, this does not fit everyone).

Greetings from Brazil,

Sandro Sena

5 Likes

As a fellow Brazilian, I have absolutely no idea why you would deem your English “suspicious” - it actually reads way better than most native speakers around here.

And your observations are, for the most part, good - I just can’t stand any subscription model for non-content or non-productivity services and software; I’d rather pay a substantial amount of one-off money so I don’t have to be hassled about recurring payments in the future.

4 Likes

Thank you for the kind words about my English, brlawyer, and I understand your objection. It seems to be part of a more general, well-reflected worldview about consumer relations in modern capitalism, relations that I may not have reflected on sufficiently to take a position that is ultimately political in the broadest sense of the term. But even if I did take such a position, I doubt whether it would have the binding force to ignore the qualitative leap in my system provided by AS. I am, frankly, very impressed.

Regards,

Sandro

L’ideal est d’acheter un logiciel avec un éditeur qui corrige les bugs…et qui ensuite faire payer une mise à jour, si celle ci comporte des modifications et fonction nouvelles majeures.

1 Like

Yes.
If it actually performed.

1 Like

Long time user here. I don’t bother about the bugs. Its an early release… it’s a small company. C’mon!
I dislike the change to sub only, but I would most likely upgrade every year anyway. Yes, it will be probably double the money in the long run (there is no mayor update every two years), but let’s hope Damien will be able to fix things better and faster with more revenue stream.

BUT… there is a big showstopper for me: I use an old 2012 MBP in the living room. The latest, supported OS is 10.10. So I won’t be able to replace the actual standalone version of Audirvana with studio.

That’s bad. I could install Roon again, but I don’t need such a big solution for just TIDAL into a SCHIIT Gumby.

I tried this Amarra LUXE player … what a terrible UI… but I would even consider this … but they can’t sort TIDAL albums chronologically … WTF?

But maybe I will be lucky and can replace my current MBP with a new M1 (so this 2016 version will become the new player in the living room) or I will have to install windows on the old one. I don’t want to buy a Mac Mini or small PC just because Damien changed the APIs :frowning: Or maybe the current version will run for a year or two more …

I still don’t geht this “activation” thing through the app… I don’t want to change anything, if a pay a sub, there should be at least the possibility to have two active apps or they should toggle automatically imho.

If you are willing to pay top dollar for a specialized power cable, the AS subscription fee is a drop in the bucket. I congratulate you on your ability to distinguish the details and nuances of fine music with the change in the power cable and have the means to support the hobby with the best equipment. You remind me of the wine connoisseur who can tell the year and location of the wine by the first taste.

Most of us like to pay what we believe should be reasonable relative to what is out there. But I always marvel at those who can tell the differences in the minute details and nuance. Enjoy the music and cheers!

1 Like

I have on my mid 2010 MBP High-Sierra (10.13). It is fully supported. You can run High-Sierra easily on your 2012 MBP or an even newer OS. So no problem with Audirvana Studio.

Matt

1 Like

In french :slight_smile:
Je veux bien être patient, gentil et bienveillant, mais il y a des limites. Je laisse tomber tant cette version est inachevée et mal préparée.

Le son est certes très bon, quel que soit l’algorithme utilisé, mais c’est tout.

Rien ne fonctionne correctement et durablement en dépit de la mise à jour (c’est même pie chez moi avec elle).

Pistes qui ne démarrent plus après un arrêt pour modifier les réglages audio et malgré la fermeture et le redémarrage du logiciel, analyse de la bibliothèque qui se lanace à nouveau à chaque démarrage et qui n’en finit pas, etc.

Autant je pourrai passer sur l’ergonomie et les fonctions pas très intuitives mais que l’on finit par comprendre, mais pour le reste ma patience a des limites.

J’attendais le multiroom. Pas là. Dommage. Au moins, c’est l’un des avantages de Roon, même si’il a aussi des dysfonctionnements réguliers.

Pas de télécommande ? Pas grave nous dit-on. Ah bon !

Je veux bien comprendre qu’un logiciel ne soit pas immédiatement parfait et nécessite des mises à jours plus ou moins importantes et rapides, mais, à ce point-là, même si c’est gratuit pendant un mois, c’est un maque de sérieux. On va nous dire que cette version a été testée ? Mais par qui et sur quel matériel ?

In english :slight_smile:

I am willing to be patient, kind and caring, but there are limits. I’m giving up so much of this version is unfinished and unprepared.

The sound is certainly very good, whatever the algorithm used, but that’s it.

Nothing works properly and permanently despite the update (it’s even a magpie in my house with it).

Tracks that don’t start anymore after a stop to change the audio settings and despite the closing and restarting of the software, library analysis that lanace again at each start and that doesn’t end, etc.

As much as I could pass over the ergonomics and the functions that are not very intuitive but that one ends up understanding, but for the rest my patience has limits.

I was waiting for the multiroom. Not there. Too bad. At least, this is one of the advantages of Roon, even if it also has regular malfunctions.

No remote control? No problem, we are told. Oh well!

I can understand that a software is not immediately perfect and needs more or less important and quick updates, but, at this point, even if it is free for a month, it is not serious. We will be told that this version has been tested? But by whom and on what hardware?

5 Likes

Hey… yes – you are right. My bad, the MBP is from 2009 :frowning: Support ends with 10.11.6. I could get a “newer” one for some Euros at Ebay, or maybe a topless Mini too.

My son purchased a 2010 MBP for 100 Euro at ebay.

Matt

1 Like

Maybe try a headless one, a topless one might be too “risqué”! :joy:

1 Like

:rofl: the head is usually on top :wink: