Audirvāna Studio Feedback

I hope you can distinguish the difference between a headless model and a topless model.
The first one is all over the front page, the latter all over the third one!

4 Likes

Of course, one is given the choice to buy or lease in this instance.

5 Likes

I installed Catalina on my mid-2009 MacBook Pro using this:

http://dosdude1.com/catalina/

If you want to use this, make a backup first. I installed it alongside the old OS. Runs fine. Depending on whether you do upsampling, AS could be quite slow on an old machine.

Just an alternative (free IIRC) to consider.

Thanks! :slight_smile: I will check this out! Actual version of Audirvana works just fine, even with “power of two” or “max” upsampling to 192. But I turn it off mostly because I use a multibit DAC. Had no performance issue with Audirvana so far on that old system.

Did a search of my local artist. Opened the result and a few albums appeared and then the listing of the album started to resize automatically. The album arts got bigger and then smaller and bigger… It did that for two minutes non-stop and the Studio was complete non-responsive during that time. Have not been able to play much music but to deal with various issues only.

Studio crashed 6 hours ago. I relaunched and continue to let it “Analyze” my small 7500 tracks library. It just crashed again sitting there. Only browser and the Studio are opened, nothing else. The XPS 13 is Core i7 with 16 GB ram.
Anyone else is experiencing this random crashing?

I had the same issue: each crush forced the analysis to start from 0%. But I resolved this problem.

Yes, I would feel better - the hassle about recurring payments and the need to remember about paying them every year/month are also a cost in and of itself.

Hi Music123,

I would like to clarify that it is not the case that I don’t care about “to pay what we believe should be reasonable relative to what is out there”. If I sounded pedantic, it was not intentional. In fact, I belong to a generation (I’m 47) that feels a certain discomfort about paying for immaterial objects and is strongly resistant to an extreme degree to “renting” immaterial objects (Roon for example and hopefully not Audirvana Studio, haha). However, there are certainly disagreements about what is “reasonable” in this field. An example of what is, to me, unreasonable, is paying for a famous music player that, to get concrete sonic benefits out of it, I would have to pay triple or much more for hardware to use it. But many of us consider this reasonable, even though this famous music player is a real functional disgrace, with no integration with streaming services and a poor library organization, to the point that, to make it functional, we have to rent other software! It is also always worth remembering that those who look at us from the outside as a community find all of this together completely unreasonable, with or without “renting”. It’s all a matter of perspective.

There is the general political position about renting music players and similar software, a position taken by brlayer and many others, a position I understand and respect, but this is part of a larger discussion, to decide in what sense this is actually a scandal (I have no fixed position yet).

I also didn’t mean to sound apologetic about Audirvana Studio. It is not the best player on the market, because there is no such thing as “better”. I even hope to be alive to see the expression “the best” banned from the audiophile community. Its use is the result of a misunderstanding. Audirvana Studio currently reigns in my system but its reign is finite. In other systems, I don’t know how it performs and whether the price to be paid (which is still unknown) will make sense.

Cheers,
Sandro

1 Like

And just to be clear that I put my money where my mouth is: I’ve recently paid for a Roon lifetime subscription and clearly stated, in their forum (when I could still post there) that I would never go along with paying a yearly/monthly subscription - I just loathe that idea for such kinds of software, and accept to pay a premium if this is the only solution.

1 Like

ah, ok, i understand now.

I do own a house and car too. Renting is no option for me.

Matt

1 Like

DAC R2R ?
Quel modéle ?

How did you resolve this?

It’s a long history and you can read it in this thread:

Transparency on what Studio is analyzing the library for

Audirvāna Studio

But to make things short, I had to trash the Database of AS and to start everything from the beginning.
I decided to offer to the analysis only a copy of a few albums in different formats and nothing else. Now my library looks like that:

I may though add some more albums to the folder that is synchronized with Audirvana.
I’m just waiting for Damien to fix the bug that affects SysOp. Then I will listen to the sound quality of AS. It is the main thing that I’m interested in.

1 Like

@Doudou Thank! that is a long discussion. I don’t think I will have time to go through the whole thing. Was having really high expectation of 3.5 improvements/fixes before the webcast. Since then I was hoping for something good with the Studio. Now I am just disappointed. I have not been able to play music much with the Studio. I just want to enjoy the music, not to fight with the software. I think I am going to leave Studio for now and go back to Roon or even Bubble UPnP.
Will check back in 3 weeks before the trial expiration.

It’s a long thread, so I’ll explain to you.
What happened is that we discovered that during the analysis AS writes to the files.
We were very surprised because Damien said in its posts that the analysis does not affect the files. It only writes to the Database of AS.
Thousands of my files were modified by AS. I was afraid that it had modified the metadata of my classical music files with garbage metadata from MusicBrainez. And my backup of the files was also affected, because my files were backed up by the fact that they were on a RAID-1 drive.

Finally, after hours of inspection of our files, we discovered that AS added tags with IDs from MusicBrainz to the files, and did not overwrite the remaining of the metadata. So, it was not a disaster…
But for some users, it caused other problems with automated backups of TB of modified files to cloud servers. And they will pay bills for the I/O.

2 Likes

I’d feel better paying $100 for it one time only, that is , after most of the bugs and clunkiness are fixed. Honestly, that’s all it’s worth to me.

2 Likes

Well said. This has been my experience as well. I recommend delete everything related to this mess, restore your altered files, and use the current bug ridden v.3.5 or earlier. At least they kinda work.
Very nice screen handle btw, Mr. Clay.

3 Likes

Just uninstalled AS; happily back to Roon.
Dieter

1 Like