Audirvāna Studio Feedback

Report it on the thread that is about it.
You never checked the examples that were given on the Bit-perfect thread. So keep your 1.4.5 version and check those examples when you’ll get a remote.
The way you use the players and the music to which you listen do not allow you to hear the difference.

3 Likes

Give me a working remote and I‘ll do it!

Sorry, Mr. Le Président, if I am in the wrong thread! But haven’t you just mentioned shrillness in the very same thread?

1 Like

Thank you for clarification. Yes, I agree, I came late to the party, I have a DAC only from 2 -3 weeks, until that I used my onboard Realtek, so it’s a big difference to me, i’m very happy! For example today I listened to Queen. The stereophony, the drums, piano, Freddie’s voice, superb! Also I enjoyed the sound of Diana Krall, Jean Michel Jarre (oh yeah! - real electronic symphony), the concert “Friday Night In San Francisco”. Oh, I forgot Deep Purple. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! But I also like the sexy voice of Kylie and her sound :blush: Also Goran Bregovic, Pat Metheny and many (I know it’s a soup, hope a good one)

2 Likes

I mentioned it in the context of the feedbacks to improve the player.
You know very well that you don’t have the possibility to verify by yourself the sound problems that were reported on version 1.4.5 on the Bit-perfect thread, and you still want to reproduce on this thread the discussion that was alrady held about them on the Bit-perfect thread.

2 Likes

You listened to good music indeed.
Are you streaming or are you listening to your own music?

Both. Qobuz and my music. And radio just friday, it’s a local show called “Discomania” with Italo Disco. The sound is not lossless (mp3) but i like the atmosphere.

Don’t fly off the handle, @Doudou and don’t you accuse me of trying to reproduce an earlier discussion!

I just wanted to give an honest impression of the new AS 1.5 version that I don’t hear a sonic difference between the previous version and the present one. This is based on the 500 albums I have in my collection, period. Even if it might be in the wrong thread!

I am all for Audirvana, always have been, needless to say that everything worked perfectly well for me, even from the first version.

1 Like

I also think the developers of such apps won’t really communicate about a sonic change when there hasn’t been any modification on their part (and indeed it’s not part of the changelog which adresses several issues every time).
In audio it’s been witnessed too many times how the perception can change much more giving the state of mind than with a real sonic improvement. I’m not saying there was no change as I wasn’t looking for those especially but I’m also very picky about sound quality (I wouldn’t buy a dedicated player if it wasn’t the case, and I did it after hearing a real change in worst – 3.5 output from a MacBook Pro – and best – USD1000+ tube amp DAC) and I didn’t hear anything wrong with the previous AS versions (and I also listen to some very good recordings of “real life” instruments as well, I’m not foreign to classical venues and casual classical plays with friends playing in orchestras, so I’m feed with good sound regularly).

I also remember the testimony of Cabel Sasser from Panic, who told about their music player on Mac OS X before Apple bought iTunes. While the softwares were still pretty basic at the time, neither the OS développer or the Panic team were able to understand why their music player sounded better than iTunes, but they all agreed it did. It shows how a software has an influence on the sound without even understanding why or how to replicate it. Apple wanted it badly. The end of the story is that Panic decided to remain independent and we all got the inferior sounding app built in Mac OS X and still became the most popular music player in the world. And nobody nevef knew why it’s inferior.

I work in tea and just like music it’s all in the small details and personal appreciation. After years, I can tell even if I know tea very well and keep enjoying stuff nearly unavailable to a broad audience because it’s just too rare and expensive, there are still many times we’re challenged with our perception, and the same tea, one day or another, can feel very different, sometimes even bad while I know yesterday it was the best. A word from someone, a difference in light, of the mood, of the weather can have much more impact than the quality of the product and the care and expertise involved. We can trust our sense, we must acknowledge we’re not infallible and all prone to subjectivity.

So I always take those perceptions with a grain of salt. And as I said earlier in this thread, if I heard something wrong I could definitely point out, it would have definitely bothered me, but it wasn’t the case (but now I don’t have AS anymore as I’m waiting for the remote to pay, because for now, without a remote, AS is de facto inferior for my daily use as I rely on it for my both listening scenarios, high end headphones and middle end three way speakers).

I also remember those blind tests with people claiming they could very reliably tell the difference between CD and 24-bits files showing subjectivity made no result scientifically proving 24-bits was superior (which doesn’t mean there was no difference, but it wasn’t about quality, or should I say, appreciation, because sound recording just like picture, is always a faulty and tweaked rendition of reality).

4 Likes

LOL.
I’m collecting music for 45 years and I can assure you that I have a bit more albums than you on all supports and formats. :wink:
I can also tell you that in the frame of my work, I’m involved in the last 30 years in the creation and the production of soundtracks, that include very often original scores. Evaluating SQ is a part of my work. And the way you proceed to compare between sound sources is not valid.

EDIT
And I wasn’t the only one. Alain, for instance, who heard the same problems, and wrote about it a mail to support, has for decades a company that is specialized in sound rendering and motion pictures rendering.

3 Likes

We can talk all day about state of mind and sonic perception and I agree all that has its place.

But we provided concrete examples of sonic signature differences that are verifiable with back to back comparisons between different player versions and using a good DAC and preferable resolving headphones and hearing.

That’s all. If someone does not hear the difference that’s great they can enjoy whatever software they prefer. And most importantly enjoy whatever music they love.

2 Likes

Since you did not check the examples that were reported, in the analogy that you provide, it’s just like pretending that there’s no difference between two teas without even tasting them.

I wish I could but unfortunately it’s not possible.

Don’t be condescending, Doudou! Not everyone has a humongous music. Yet, I value everyone’s input regardless of the size of their music collection and professional background!

We‘re running in circles here. You try to beat everyone to listen to the, what, four examples you pulled out of your vast music collection? And you try to prove what?

I value your effort of giving input to help to improve AS, but don’t do it on the basis of a self-elected elitist group that doesn’t accept any other opinion than yours!

I am out of this thread. I rather enjoy listening to my meager music collection and enjoy a sunny Sunday than bickering about who’s right or wrong!

5 Likes

We supported our statements with examples that people could check.
An opinion is of a little value, if it is not supported by facts that you can expose for others to check. It is just an unsupported opinion.

3 Likes

We’re back to this again. Providing those tracks doesn’t prove anything. It’s just another claim, not a fact. You are on the same level.
And… isn’t it over now ? I thought you consider it to be fixed anyway.

2 Likes

It was not just another claim… It was a claim that was made by several users, with different systems, and that was supported with examples that could have been checked by others, including Damien himself, who was notified about the problem by mail.

For me, the issue is over, since the problem was fixed. But if you check some posts above, you’ll see that Sailor is insisting on speaking about it on this thread, though I told him that there is a thread for that.

2 Likes

Just take one track you know well.
Play through your options, decide which sounds best… job done.

2 Likes

Hi Doudou, I don’t think anyone is claiming that AS is perfect. We all would have preferred a better finished software at launch.
i Agree with you, critics may help Audirvana (little team) to perfect the software.

2 Likes

Already done. Maybe I misinterpreted your words. I was not sure that all was only fair critics. :sunglasses:
anyway, I understand that a lot of people are frustrated after the launch of AS.