Dirac calibration using UPnP

Hello,
Is it possible to calibrate a room with Dirac plugin on a Mac with Audirvana Studio using UPnP ?

If I look at the threads in this forum , I only see a solution using USB.

I tried using Dirac Live calibration using UPnP in AS and (1) I do not see my HIFI device when setting the gains (I see Ambosonics devices instead !!!) and (2) a network error is fired when I perform the first measurement.

Please help.

Hi @Alain1,

Do you have the settings “Realtime control” in the Audio unit settings of Audirvāna Studio enabled?

This is possibly related to the topic “Dirac calibration using UPnP”.

Can someone confirm if all VST3/Audio Unit plug-ins work via UPnP?

I’ve used an equaliser plug-in in the past via UPnP and I could tell by ear it was definitely working.

I’m currently testing the U BACCH VST3 plug-in though and I’m not sure it’s working via UPnP. When I play directly to the DAC the plug-ins’s window pops up, which confirms it’s working.

When I try it via UPnP though, this window doesn’t pop up and I’m not sure if it’s working.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi @soundgals,

You can use the VST3/Audio unit over UPNP, however, you won’t be able to change the plugin’s settings in real time.

You need to disable the “Realtime control” in the Audio unit settings of Audirvāna Studio to make it work.

Thanks Antoine. I already disabled Realtime control; but when I did that, I either got silence or distorted sound. Anyway, I don’t need “Realtime control”. I set it up once and I’m happy with the result.

So when you say

You need to disable the “Realtime control” in the Audio unit settings of Audirvāna Studio to make it work.

Do you mean plug-ins won’t work via UPnP unless “Realtime control” is disabled?

Yes, I mean this.

Ah, OK. So my next question is; why does the U BACCH VST3 plug-in either produce sound which is distorted (broken up) or (mostly) silent via UPnP?

I will install the plugin as soon as possible and try to reproduce your behavior.

Great! Thanks again.

Hello,

My initial question was : " Is it possible to calibrate a room with Dirac plugin on a Mac with Audirvana Studio using UPnP ?" I mean can I use the configuration button for the “Dirac Research Direct Live Processor” plugin to calibrate a room using UPnP ?

I tried to configure with and without “realtime control” : Dirac Live that is fired within this configuration sends an error message when I perform the first measurement (see attached image)

So this question was specifically focused on Dirac calibration within AS.
(I sent the debug info to the support - no response yet) ,

Please can you answer to the initial question ?

I don’t think this is possible. In UPnP, audirvana already renders before playing the file. While for a measurement Dirac needs to have real-time control over the plugin.

Thanks @Jacob , that could explain.

I would like to have a confirmation from @Antoine to be definitely sure it is not possible to calibrate with UPnP and then I will try to find a way to use USB .

I will try to reproduce what you describe tomorrow afternoon ( I have a lot of mail to handle right now (I have not answered to yours since are talking about it here).

Thank you, … looking forward to your reply

Have you tried the plug-in via USB or local speaker? And with realtime enabled and disabled, does it work as you expect? If that works well, I would then switch to UPnP.

Thank you, … looking forward to your reply

Thanks for your suggestion Jacob. Actually this plug-in only works with Realtime enabled, even when just playing directly to the audio output device. So the problem is not limited to UPnP.

Hi @soundgals,
Please, I initiate this thread about Dirac and UPnP , then can you came with another problem with U BACCH VST3 plug-in on another platform , please can you let @Antoine answer to the initial problem and avoid to use this thread to answer to your problem ?
Your problem and mine are decorrelated.

Hi @Alain1,

I did initially open a separate thread; but it was merged with this one. In fact I’m not sure it’s even related now, because, as I just wrote, my problem is not specific or limited to UPnP.

So I agree with you, this should be back to my initially opened thread.

I agree with you.