Loud POPs when using Windows version/ MacOS version does not POP at all

@Antoine, Any luck ?

My 30 day trial period ends in a couple of days… Is there a way to get an extension while we work this out ?

Hello @philgo01, we can extend your trial, we will come back to you as soon as possible regarding your issue as we can’t reproduce it on our side.

Extending trial would help a LOT… My expiration is June 1st. Thanks.

What else can I do to show you the pop’s happening only on Win10 version ASIO driver start to play DSDs and no pops using Foobar2000, Windows10, same Topping ASIO Driver? No pops on WASAPI (Mac and Win10).

Exactly the same issue here. DAC is Topping NX4 DSD. Tried all possible solutions listed here.

If you change it to DOP, no pops BUT it is limited to DSD256 native.

Have you tried same driver with Foobar2000 ? Using same driver under FB2000 does not pop for me BUT the UI is awful.

@Antoine Any luck ? it’s been at least six months and Topping did release new drivers earlier this month. Still pop’s with DSD’s on startup of very first track.

This seems to be an issue specific to the mix of Topping/ASIO/Audirvana (Windows), as I have a D90 and can confirm the loud pop at the beginning of DSD playback (which no setting appears to eliminate). I can also report the following:

• Topping D90/ASIO/HQPlayer = no pop.
  • Topping D90/Moode Audio (via USBridge Signature Player) = no pop.
  • Chord Qutest/ASIO/Audirvana (Windows) = no pop.

For DSD playback (64-256) with Topping and Audirvana (Windows), WASAPI is the best option at the moment.

As for DSD512, it is essentially broken in Audirvana (Windows); the program cannot detect/import files over 2gb into your library, leaving you unable to listen to at least 1-2 songs on every DSD512 album. (This is also a problem with DSD256 albums, though slightly less frequent.)

You are absolutely right as my Topping D50s with ASIO and Foobar2000, no pops at all. Topping D50s with WASAPI, no pops ( and I think this is how Audirvana for MAC works, with no more than DSD256, all at DSD over PCM which is no big deal for me). And I also ran into the 2GB file size (track) limit of Windows.

I guess it is what it is… I wish Audirvana can replicate @Antoine more… He/She seems to be totally swamped.

Thanks again !

1 Like

Just to follow up on this, I contacted both Apos Audio (Topping retailer I purchased my D90 from) and Topping themselves.

When asked about the popping, Apos had no answer and referred me to Topping.

Topping responded by recommending Foobar.

And I can report that, after installing the necessary components and adjusting their settings, Foobar with the Topping D09/ASIO can play DSD (64 thru 512) without the loud popping at the beginning of playback.

If not for the poor UI and lack of Qobuz integration, Foobar would be my solution.

I have had the same experience as you when playing via an ASIO driver on Windows. When I choose the WASAPI output in Audirvana (and choose DOP 1.1 in the Audirvana DAC settings), the pop is gone.
So, basically for me the problem is solved because I play via WASAPI. There is no sound quality difference between WASAPI and ASIO, so there is no penalty there.

The only issue is that Wasapi won’t play DSD512. Granted, that’s not a problem for most people and, honestly, I sort of regret going down that absurd format rabbit hole myself.

Regardless, this is not an issue for any other playback software that I’ve tested besides Audirvana.

Indeed… DSD512 won’t play under WASAPI. What other playback software have you tested that you would recommend ?

For DSD512, I’ve found the following:

Foobar will work with the right components installed and settings applied. (Though it appears you know that, judging from the posts above.)

HQPlayer will work with the right settings applied. While less expensive than Roon, I wouldn’t call it cheap. (I’ve just been using their free trial version, which limits you to 30 minutes of use before stoppings.)

Moode Audio will work. But that’s only relevant if you’re utilizing something like a Rasperry Pi, which I am doing with the USBridge Signature Player.

If memory serves me right, JRiver will also work though I am not certain (only had it for a limited trial period).

I believe even USB Audio Player Pro will work, which is only relevant for Android devices. Though I don’t think I ever hooked my phone/tablet up to the Topping D90, just the Chord Qutest.

Foobar and Moode are free. USB Audio Player Pro is $7.99. JRiver is about $80. HQPlayer is about $258.

Besides being able to play all DSD files natively without popping, none of the aforementioned playback software has issues with files over 2gb not showing up in your library.

1 Like

Thank you for such a comprehensive response… Wow… You’ve done your homework! I am just getting my feet wet with DSD Playback (hardwired by USB to the DAC vs UPnP / DLNA / networked options) and there are so many possible combinations of achieving playback, each with its own quirks and limitations. Yes, I also ran into 2G file size limit on Audirvana so I decided not to get DSD512 music anymore. Stay tuned !!!

My experience with a networked setup via the USBridge Signature Player is that, while there are a couple necessary settings in Moode to adjust, I can push DSD 64-256 over my network without playback issues. DSD512…not so much - lots of stuttering. I only have 50mbps internet, so someone with Gigabit internet might not run into presumed bandwidth issues here.

My suggestion for DSD512 (or really DSD files in general) for playback in a networked scenario is to instead load them onto a micro SD card/usb adapter and plug them into a usb port (which hopefully exists) on your network streamer, eliminating network speed/bandwidth issues. This worked for my Topping D90, though not for my Chord Qutest, which did fine with DSD 64-256 but choked on 512, regardless of whether I was pushing it over the network or attached storage to my Signature Player (this is probably a driver issue but I’m not totally sure).

Anyways, you are correct: each setup has its own quirks and limitations.

1 Like

Great suggestion on storing the DSD files in a USB drive instead. I did that today but the way the tracks and albums are presented are no where close to how organized Audirvana is. Example is tracks are not in the correct sequence while in Audivirvana, it is perfect ! Some albums are split up to 3 different albums ! Any ideas ?

What playback software are you using with the files on the USB drive? I’ve only used Moode with the networked/attached storage configuration so I’m not sure how much help I can be.

To fix weird album/artist splits you mention, my first inclination is to suggest editing the file ID tags (artist, album artist, album, track #, etc). For that, I use dbpoweramp and/or Mp3tag, though I’m sure there are plenty of other options out there.

Cleaning up the tag info has always fixed the issues concerning how albums are presented in my library, regardless of playback software. But that would include Audirvana too, which organizes albums only as well as they’ve been tagged. So that would indicate something else is going on with your files.

If it’s not an ID tag issue, then I’m not sure how to explain the one album getting split up into three. But for track order, make sure that the files are organized in File Explorer in the correct (descending) order.

99% sure it is tag related. I use HEOS (Denon / Marantz’s) app to access USB Music. For some reason, Audirvana is able to make sense of the meta data of my albums and presents the albums and tracks in a much more reasonably organized manner. HEOS is a bit messy so I will use ID Tag editor you mentioned… Thanks.

1 Like

This loud “popping” issue has been fixed in Studio. Would be nice if that fix found it’s way to 3.5 as well.

Really ? Indeed, would be WONDERFUL to trickle down to the legacy product. Thanks for the heads up !