Missing Albums from my library

Sorry, I was off the grid for some time. I have the same issue over and over again. Disabling the remote recycle bin on the NAS did not help. Songs missing after repeated syncs. The missing number of songs is around 22-24%, very significant, And, the songs are really missing from the database while they are on the NAS definitely, itunes can see and play them. Copying the missing albums to another folder on the same shared folder and adding as monitored path, they found, displayed and played properly. Deleting the monitored path, the new albums (while they are undisturbed in the main library folder) disappear.
JamesG, can you tell me more what and how did you fixed with Picard?

What is the format of the files you’re missing? Is it m4p (file extension)?

Could be a permission issue in the original folder

Basically I think tracks metadata was corrupted or something like that, so I did a scan and look-up of the entire album within picard. then I had to select the right album version and clicked “save”.
The album immediately showed up in Audirvana.

Yes, the file extensions are m4p, Apple lossless format.

Those are DRM protected files. You can’t import those in Audirvana.

You can either purchase those files and download them or source that music somewhere else.

Sorry, my bad. There were some m4p but most of them are m4a files, ripped by myself using iTunes from the original CD.

I have “clustered” and “looked up” the files in Picard save them and rescanned with A+. No luck, files are still missing after rescanned the music library.

are you able to add some of them directly in the playing queue?

Yes dragging missing tracks into the playing queue works and they played properly. Checked the tags, too A+ shows them perfectly.

I think it is something with a special character the db doesn’t like.
@Antoine what do you think?

Hello @Terrible, does all of your tracks in your QNAP were from iTunes? When you added the folder of your QNAP, have you done it through Finder or using Home Sharing library?

It is possible, there are tracks in the database with special character sets, but the three albums of the same performer I have selected to test this problem are not.

The music library was built over the years and was copied from one volume to another then rescanned with itunes in place into an empty itunes music database. After that growing marginally using itunes to copy tracks into the library. Itunes can see and play all the files (at least the ones I have tested) and itunes database and library was tested for missing tracks, too (no missing tracks).
As I wrote, if the songs I am testing with are copied to another folder on the same shared QNAP volume and added the new location as a monitored folder, they are properly scanned into the A+ database but not from the original place from the organized music library. And the problem is with thousands songs, not just one or two.

I would start over, possibly from different location on the NAS. This time from a folder not monitored by iTunes/Music.

The problem is I am totally appreciated with iTunes as a scriptable database organizer (except maybe stability) and totally unsatisfied with the capabilities as a music player. So, my “architecture” is using iTunes(mac, Mojave) to maintain the the music library (on a QNAP volume), database on a local drive and listening the music on (two) A+ macs both would monitor the same folders and build it’s own database. The issue, there is always 3 different number of songs between the 3 systems, whereas iTunes shows the most (every) songs.
However, do you think, iTunes is causing the problem? I can make a test (it will take some time because of the size of the music library) to copy the whole database to a new shared folder / volume and “monitor” a new A+ database from it… after deleting every A+ files properly, starting from scratch, again…

Then just use Audirvana in legacy mode, just play through Audirvana and keep using iTunes for library management.

What is legacy mode? iTunes Library Sync? Can I set the path to the iTunes database somewhere? It is on another mac (can be reached as a remote folder, though).

Oh, sorry, I see what are you saying,. Never tried legacy mode, let me play with it and I will report back

@Antoine, I also have this problem, but with a little difference, all my albums are downloaded digial music files, if two album have exact same album title, then the library are messed up, the result will be different, and all the result are some music will be put within wrong album.

I know that two album with exact same title sounds strange, but if you have a lot of classical music, this is common, for example, if you search Beethoven - Complete Symphonies on discogs, then there will be multiple albums with exact same title.

I think audirvana now only use album title to determine the music belongs to which album, but when comes to classical music, there are some music files have the exact same title, but they have different album artists. so audirvana should use album title and album artists as key to index the music files.

this might be the reason. please check this and fix this problem. using only album title as album index will definitely cause this problem.

BTW, all these info like album title and album artists are come from the metadata of id3tag