Transparency on what Studio is analyzing the library for

Thank you for your insight

Don’t disagree with that. Still would like to know what’s happening with my data and how it is being used.

Maybe it was in the terms of service, but I’d want a clear explanation too.

Presuming it has to abide by EU law, which requires opt-in before data is used for marketing, is that correct?

1 Like

@Antoine Could you provide some clarity on what this process does, why it takes so long, and what data is being shared?

1 Like

No data is shared, all we do is analyzing your track to have the Accoustic ID of the track and then with Musicbrainz we are displaying the missing metadata in Audirvana (we are not adding them in your track).

2 Likes

Thanks @Antoine . Given that I’ve spent months curating my metadata, I don’t really need that feature. Is there a way to switch it off?

9 Likes

My sentiments exactly. Sounds like a nice feature, but not one I want or need.

3 Likes

But you are overwriting the original files, aren’t you? Why?

1 Like

A cursory glance through my library shows a bunch of file updates, which were definitely made by Audirvana Studio (it’s the only thing running that can access them).

Specifically, at a minimum, it is adding the “MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID” to some of them. Apparently at random since it is not all the files in any given album. And there’s no name-based, or other, correlation I can see.

So either there’s a bug, or the claim that it is not changing files is inaccurate.

2 Likes

The claim was that it isn’t overwriting the user’s metadata, not that it wasn’t doing anything with the file. Of course it is, so it can show you any additional metadata MusicBrainz has, but without overwriting what you already have.

Using licensed Audirvana 3.5 which has no Library management by using the disk directory and file structure. Is this now integrated in the Studio version?
This would be a good argument for me.

I am really sick due to metadate usage only. My library has lots of ripped CDs which I own and Exaxt Audio Copy does not integrate metadata into the soundfiles. Some other CD ripper do it, but the rip is not really bit perfect.

It could do that by sticking the ID in the database and leaving my files alone.

Regardless …

It’s adding something.

Which is a problem … as at a minimum it’s going to cause every file it touches to have to be re-backed up. On a million-track library that’s a lot of data to push. Especially for the cloud backup step.

That the changes are apparently random in what files they occur on is another cause for concern.

You don’t make mass updates to user’s files without warning them.

11 Likes

I understand the files and the metadata is not changed, but for those of us with very large libraries and specific, meticulous metadata, this feature is not only a huge memory resource and time expenditure, but also unhelpful for library and playlist management.

3 Likes

The files are being changed, aren’t they?

1 Like

I just checked, at least some of my music files that I haven’t touched in years have been modified today. @Antoine There HAS to be an option to block Audirvana from modifying my files without asking. Until then, I’ll immediately cease all usage of Studio, which is a pity as I like the software overall and would have purchased it, but this is a total no go!

3 Likes

Have you opened the same file in 3.5 to verify any metadata changes?

I ran a diff on the backup of my library against the copy Audirvana Studio was running against. This found it had, so far, updated just over 5,000 files (in about 20 hours). And on inspecting any of those changed files directly, and with a non-Audirvana metadata editors, clearly shows the addition of the MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID tag.

1 Like

@Antoine There has to be an option to turn this off. Immediately. I won’t be using Studio until this change is implemented.

6 Likes

Thanks for verifying Torq. I would prefer the ability to disable the linking to the Musicbrainz tag tracking.

1 Like