Transparency on what Studio is analyzing the library for

I thought Crowded House were actually Kiwis? Or was that just the Finns’ previous group, Split Enz? OK, off topic I know, but couldn’t resist.

1 Like

@Jud Good One! OK so Aus and NZ love to adopt each others bands! Even more reason adding additional rubbish makes no sense

Yupp, sadly this is a deal breaker for me. I imagine it’s the same for many audiophiles who like to organize their music database meticulously. AS should not insist on adding bogus information into the user’s music database without asking for consent or having the option to disable this “feature.”

8 Likes

I completely agree. I can understand that the analysis is not always correct, but @Antoine AS should not alter my private/personal files without my consent. .Why don’t you put these extra tags in AS own database? Do not touch my files without my approval!. It is definitely not good programming practice from your side. I use more programs than AS only (Foobar, Roon etc.). The alterations you make to my files also affect the info displayed in those programs.

If this is not going to be solved, I will not even touch AS anymore. I am the owner of the metadata in my own files. I think it is invading my privacy when AS alters that without my permission. Not to speak about my NAS Backup program and my Cloud backup running overtime now, because they think almost all files are changed/touched. Also @Antoine how can I undo this when AS puts plainly wrong data in my files? Do I have to correct each and every track (4TB) by hand? You’v got to be kidding me.

Edit:
I use MusicBrainz Picard to add my own metadata. I know from experience how often Picard/Musibrainz has it wrong (about 20-30 pct of the cases).Therefore I always meticulously check the results and change it by hand if needed. If Audirvana Studio uses this same algorithm it will also go wrong in 20-30 pct of the cases and destroying/overwrithing the meticulous hours and hours of work I have spent. This is how I expect a virus or malware to behave, but not Audirvana.

6 Likes

This is a big issue and we many wasted hours with it to finally that SA does not overwrite the metadata. It adds tags with MacBrainz IDs to your files. So it was not a disaster as we worried…
The wrong metadata that you see in the screenshots is what AS displays in its library.

Nevertheless, the modification of the files had other harmful consequences. For instance, users with online automated backup will have to pay the I/O bills for uploading TBs of modified files to the cloud.

2 Likes

Foobar and Roon use MusicBrainz Ids too. If AS adds incorrect Ids than this will affect Foobar and Roon (and other music players) too. As said, I spent hours with MusicBrainz Picard to avoid adding the wrong MusicBrainz Ids.. And now without me even knowing or without asking for my permission AS, adds all those wrong/incorrect IDs, basically undoing my work and affecting my whole music system. Also AS does not give me the chance to undo the changes AS made (which it could have done if the changes where put in its own database instead of in my files).
So yes, for me this is a big disaster/deal :wink:

1 Like

I understand now.
I’m not a Roon or Foobar user so I could not know it.

Actually, it is worse than changing the metadata without asking your permission. Damien stated on this thread that the files are not affected and the changes are written only to the database of Studio.
He was mistaken and he misled us.

2 Likes

Agreed, I don’t understand how Damien could claim that the files where not affected. It is clearly established in this forum that AS adds a MusicBrainz ID to the music files. Lots of people have shown/proven this by now. Maybe this is a bug and not intentional, but he still could be more transparent about this whole situation. At the moment the silence on Audirvana’s part is overwhelming. Even in the newest AS update (1.1) there is no mention about anything (also not in the release notes), except for an info box (with a vague text) next to the ‘analysing’ part.

1 Like

He made this claim before this fact was established by the members of this forum.
I read it and I thought that there’s no reason to worry. Otherwise, I would have never loaded 11K files to AS. I would have loaded just copies of few albums in order to check the sound quality of the player.

1 Like

@Antoine, I think it would be best if you got in here and offered some sort of response.

6 Likes

Would any lawyer around give a legal perspective on this matter (without charge, please… :smile:)

1 Like

I am using a Mac and use Yates and Metadatics (from Apple Store). I am opening my files in Metadatics and I see the tag added from Music Brains as many of you have discussed. I am selecting the tag for multiple songs and removing. I do not want Audirvana adding entries to my music without permission. I will not be using Audirvana Studio until the system adds data to it own database. I will continue to use 3.5 for now.

1 Like

What really makes me mad is the unnecessary time/effort on the users’ part to identify and correct erroneous information being added! I spent some time going through my files correcting silly edits like artists names being repeated or having some random names added to the original artists (very inconsistently I might add) only to find that AS likes to undo my correction with the same erroneous edits again! That was it for me once I realized this. I’m not going to waste any more time fighting this thing that keeps reverting back despite my manual corrections. Really going to need ths automatic “analysis” to stop before I would consider continuing.

2 Likes

I’m using Yate.
I could not find a way to remove these MusicBrainz tags that Studio added.

How do you manage to remove them? With Metadatics?

I am afraid that for most, the shortest way to deal with this is to overwrite the files from our backups.
This is dependant on Damien offering very soon a solution to opt out from this sorry mess…

1 Like

I add the files to Metadatics and select the side bar on left and it shows the entries. I highlight all music files, then double click on the music brain entry I remove and press ok. it gets removed. then save the batch you are working on. I am adding files to metadatics by file alphabet as I have 75 thousand files of ALAC, AIFF and DSD. not all got contaminated. I saw what was happening with I ran my Carbon Copy Cloner. BTW Audirvana Studio did not come close to finishing and I stop it cause I was taking so long “Analyzing”. so when I did the back up I saw many files were being updated on backup. that’s when I got on the forum. thanks everyone for discussing the issue.

1 Like

The problem is that my NAS backup program runs every day. So my backup is affected already. The same for my Cloud backup. I know I am repeating myself ( :wink:), but if Audirvana would have asked for my approval first, this never would have happened.

I can not overwrite my files, because they are backed-up by the fact that they are stored on a RAID-1 drive.
I have another copy of the files, but the tags were never updated on this copy.

Other users with online backup have the same problem. The modified files were automatically uploaded to the servers on the cloud.

1 Like

Going to add this. These are my files, I have spent years getting the metadata correct with great album covers etc. So don’t add to my files without permission. I might decide ok, but this is my choice.

2 Likes

Thank you mglover.
So as I suspected, it’s something you can do with Metadatics.
We were many to try with Yate, but it’s impossible.
I will consider buying Metadatics.

I was mostly interested to check the sound quality of Studio, its library management was of little interest for me.
So from the start, I loaded only a small part of my library. I thought that 11K files are enough to check the application.

1 Like