Transparency on what Studio is analyzing the library for

I agree with you nevertheless - there should at least be a clear explanation of what AS does to music files before people even started trialling it.

1 Like

I agree, but in my opinion it should even go a step further: AS should not be doing this in the first place and should put that information in AS own database. Changing someone’s private files/data without any form of consent is beyond any decency standards.

I have 3.5 and was planning on taking a subscription on AS, but in the foreseeable future I certainly will not do this. I have lost a lot of confidence in Audirvana as it stands now.

Edit: Also not to mention my backup programs and my OpenDrive are running overtime now to backup all the touched files. And for what? I use MusicBrainz Picard to tag my files. I do not need some other program to change that for me without my approval.

1 Like

I don’t think you’re alone in that sentiment Andy :+1:

3 Likes

For those who follow my adventures: when I launched Studio a new, a few hours ago, it restarted to analyze the files in the folder on the RAID-1 drive with which it has been synchronized, despite the fact that I suppressed this synchronization in the preferences of the app.

Now dismounted first the RAID-1 drive, and then launched Studio.
Despite the fact that the synchronization was suppressed in the preferences, the links to albums are still there in the library.

Does anyone has an idea how could I clean the library of all these tracks?

Note the library location, close AS, go to the location and delete the library file. Empty library will be re-created on next start.

1 Like

Synchronizing and analyzing are not the same in AS.
Synchronizing = scanning your library folders and adding/updating the internal database.
Analyzing happens after that.
Analyzing = Searching for every track in your library on the MusicBrainz site and adding (or updating??) the metadata in your music files.
The synchronizing part is relatively quick, but the analyzing can take ages (besides that it updates/touches your music files without your consent).
So it seems that turning off synchronizing in your settings does not affect the analyzing part.

2 Likes

I just sincerely hope @Antoine will just release a new version shortly with the “analyzing” (and file modifying) behaviour as a transparent opt-in. Until then, I won’t touch that software again.

5 Likes

I think it’s a little frustrating that he hasn’t weighed in on this issue, which is the biggest thread right now in the entire AS section. Without the opt-in and without remote, I can’t even begin to assess whether or not I want to invest in this software.

5 Likes

It is very odd indeed.

At least consistent with how other issues are solved. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

23m

Note the library location, close AS, go to the location and delete the library file. Empty library will be re-created on next start.

Thank you. And where is the library in macOS Big Sur?

I understood that they are not the same.
But as I wrote this morning, I suppressed in the preferences of the app the synchronization of AS with the folder with the files that it had modified, but despite that it synchronized with the folder and then started analyzing the files. It was crazy… So quitted the app.

This time, I first dismounted the RAID-1 drive to prevent this from happening.

If you look in settings, where the sync location is input, you will find the library location.

1 Like

I found it. Thank you.

EDIT
Should I trash the AudirvanaDatabase.sqlite file?

I trashed the file of the Database and now the library is clean.

Still, I think that this is something that Damien should improve.
It does not make sens to trash the Database in order to clean the library of the tracks of a folder that you don’t want anymore. Because when you trash the Database, you lose everything: playlists, synchronization with other folders, etc…

You have a good point, seems like a valid use case if I let’s say want to point my music folder to a new location and remove the old one.
Trashing the database is a bit heavy handed but at least it ensures you start with a clean slate.

And in addition to loosing everything, you’ll have to pass again through the nightmare of a new analysis for the thousands and thousands of files that you have.

Now everything is clean.
I synchronized AS with a USB-Key of only 128 GB to which I copied two dozen albums in different file formats. Synchronization was quick, analysis is still running and I don’t care what AS would do to the tags of these files…
I will be able to listen to the sound of Studio as soon as the bug of SysOptymizer is fixed.

1 Like

Same problem here with Windows PC. My local library is relatively small (27k in lossless or hi-res tracks). It’s been almost 48 hours since Audirvana is “analyzing audio files”, and sometimes it seems like it starts all over again after I turn Audirvana off and then restart it. What annoys me is that this process seems to make both Audirvana slower as well as the rest of my PC. There should be a way to turn this process off, and then resume at some specified time (when I’m sleeping for ex.). Until this stops I won’t be able to assess who system-hungry Audirvana is on my PC, which is a biggie to decide if I’ll subscribe or not.

1 Like

I have the impression from the posts that I read and from the way that my MacBook Pro behaved during this analysis, that this analysis consumes much more resources on the PC version. On my Mac, it was supportable, it didn’t prevent the computer from doing many other tasks.
On its Mac version, Roon offers the possibility to choose how many cores of your CPU, you allow it to use for its analysis. This is a nice feature, because you can decide to let it use all the cores during the night, when you sleep, or just 2 of them, if you want to use the computer for something else.

With Roon you can also quit the app or restart your computer, and Roon will resume the analysis at the point in which you stopped it. While AS starts the analysis from 0% each time it is interrupted. When it analysed ly files, it crushed several times and started each time the analyses anew.

I am not certain it is the case.
Following the one crash I experienced, the second analysis session seemed to be faster, which would suggest that if the visual indicator resets, the analysis might start from where it left, after possibly a check of the metadata of the files.
This is just a conjecture on my part.

I don’t know. Sometimes I had the impression that the analysis progresses more quickly and sometime after a crush it remained during long hours at 5-10%.